Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"I have been married 27 years next month. About 2 months ago my husband tells me he doesn't want to be married any longer."

1)Would this be a colloquial use for "will have been...."? Would there be much difference in conversation between "I have been married 27 years next month." and "I'll be married 27 years next month."?

2) If I didn't know how long they have been married for next month, would it be acceptable to say "They may have been married 25-30 years next month."?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I have been married 27 years next month. About 2 months ago my husband [STRIKE]tells[/STRIKE] told me he [STRIKE]doesn't [/STRIKE] didn't want to be married any longer."
(Note: the use of the present tense is possible in this context but it has a very specific use which I personally wouldn't encourage learners to use.)

1)Would this be a colloquial use for "will have been...."? Yes.

Would there be much difference in conversation between "I have been married 27 years next month." and "I'll be married 27 years next month."? I wouldn't say the latter. I would say it's between "I've been married 27 years next month" and "I'll have been married 27 years next month".

2) If I didn't know how long they have been married for next month, would it be acceptable to say "They may have been married 25-30 years next month."?
That sounds unnatural. I would use "Next month, they'll have been married somewhere between 25 and 30 years, I think."

See above.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
See above.

Would it apply to the use of the present perfect proggressive and future progressive?

Could I say things like "I have been living in this town 2 years next month." or "I'll be living in this town 2 years next month."?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would it apply to the use of the present perfect proggressive and future progressive?

Could I say things like "I have been living in this town 2 years next month." or "I'll be living in this town 2 years next month."?

I will have been living in this town 2 years next month.

Definitely not "I'll be living in this town 2 years next month" - that sounds as if you're going to start living there next month and will then live there for 2 years.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I will have been living in this town 2 years next month.

Definitely not "I'll be living in this town 2 years next month" - that sounds as if you're going to start living there next month and will then live there for 2 years.

What if I threw in "already", would it work ? "I'll be living in this town 2 months already."?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What if I threw in "already", would it work ? "I'll be living in this town 2 months already."?

I'm not sure why you think adding other words is going to make "I'll be living ..." correct. It doesn't matter what else you put in the sentence, it still needs to be "I will have been living..."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm not sure why you think adding other words is going to make "I'll be living ..." correct. It doesn't matter what else you put in the sentence, it still needs to be "I will have been living..."

When I say "My girlfriend and I have been together for a year next month. So we're going to celebrate it."

I'm refering to a point in the future in the first sentence. Would it work in the following context "I've been here waiting for you for almost an hour when you come."?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why do you insist on wanting not to use use will in situations when it is normal and natural to use it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I say "My girlfriend and I have been together for a year next month. So we'regoing to celebrate it."

I'm refering to a point in the future in the first sentence. Would it work in the following context "I've been here waiting for you for almost an hour when you come."?

My girlfriend and I have been together for a year [now/today].
My girlfriend and I will have been together for a year next month.

I've been waiting here for you for almost an hour [and you have just arrived].
I will have been waiting here for you for almost an hour by the time you come.
I had been waiting here for you for almost an hour when you came.

Again, it doesn't matter what different context you use, you need to say "will have been verb+ing".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
My girlfriend and I have been together for a year [now/today].
My girlfriend and I will have been together for a year next month.

I've been waiting here for you for almost an hour [and you have just arrived].
I will have been waiting here for you for almost an hour by the time you come.
I had been waiting here for you for almost an hour when you came.

Again, it doesn't matter what different context you use, you need to say "will have been verb+ing".

Not only have I been reading grammar text-books. I've also heard people saying things that do not come up to the standard grammar rules so I was just wandering if it would be possible in post # 18-Jul-2011 16:25?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not only have I been reading grammar text-books. I've also heard people saying things that do not come up to the standard grammar rules so I was just wandering if it would be possible in post # 18-Jul-2011 16:25?
I repeat what I said in post #8: Why do you insist on wanting not to use use will in situations when it is normal and natural to use it?

You need only to sit in a bus in England for five minutes to hear several non-standard utterances from natives. 'I ain't done nothing' is not standard English, and is generally considered sub-standard/uneducated, but it is normal and natural in some dialect groups in informal contexts.

The constructions you are talking about are not normal and natural in any dialect that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.