Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Jim is curious about a boxer and his father's conversation problem thinking it's easy as they have some family dispute and haven't talked to each other for a long time.
What is "talking part down pretty good"?

[FONT=&#44404]Jim- What is so hard about people just talking to each other?
[/FONT][FONT=&#44404]Talk, listen, talk, listen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Mel- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Was it ever that simple for you and your parents?
Jim- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Ok. We had the talking part down pretty good.

[/FONT]

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Jim is curious about a boxer and his father's conversation problem thinking it's easy as they have some family dispute and haven't talked to each other for a long time.
What is "talking part down pretty good"?

[FONT=&#44404]Jim- What is so hard about people just talking to each other?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Talk, listen, talk, listen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Mel- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]Was it ever that simple for you and your parents?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Jim- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]Ok. We had the talking part down pretty good.[/FONT]

NOT A TEACHER.

I'm familiar with the expression "have something down pat," which means one has mastered something or is very good at it. I guess that in your dialogue Jim is saying that he and his parents communicated well.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
NOT A TEACHER.

I'm familiar with the expression "have something down pat," which means one has mastered something or is very good at it. I guess that in your dialogue Jim is saying that he and his parents communicated well.

Thank you, but is it like "have something part down" or just "have something down"?
Which is correct between the two?
a, I had soothing part down with my baby.
b. I had soothing down with my baby.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER.

I don't agree. He says communication involves talking and listening. He says they were good at the talking part.

He is saying they did not communicate well.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, but is it like "have something part down" or just "have something down"?
Which is correct between the two?
a, I had soothing part down with my baby.
b. I had soothing down with my baby.

Neither of those is very good. "I had soothing my baby down pat."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pat | Define Pat at Dictionary.com

See the second sense of the word. It means "exactly to the point or purpose" or "learned, known, or mastered perfectly or exactly."

It's not really used in this way outside of phrases like "down pat" or "stand pat."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Pat | Define Pat at Dictionary.com

See the second sense of the word. It means "exactly to the point or purpose" or "learned, known, or mastered perfectly or exactly."

It's not really used in this way outside of phrases like "down pat" or "stand pat."

Then, what Jim said was subtitled wrong. It should be corrected to "We had the talking pat down pretty good", right?

Jim-We had the talking part down pretty good.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then, what Jim said was subtitled wrong. It should be corrected to "We had the talking pat down pretty good", right?

Jim-We had the talking part down pretty good.

No. The subtitle is correct. He did not say they have the talking pat down. That doesn't make any sense. If he meant that, he would say they had the talking down pat. (Pat down and down pat are two different things.)

As I said in my first post on this thread, he was contrasting the listening and the talking "parts" of what is needed for good communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.