Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
I'm looking for alternative words/phrases for "moving back in time". If any one could kindly come up with the required words/phrases.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm looking for alternative words/phrases for "moving back in time". If any one could kindly come up with the required words/phrases.
It depends on the context.

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Sir, I was looking for a phrase that meant, looking back in history.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? :-? :-? You change moving' to 'looking' and 'time' to 'history', and think that's enough context to be going on. Sheesh. :roll:

We're not being intentionally unhelpful. It's just that we can't give you a usefu l(or even accurate) answer until we know what context you have in mind.

Do you mean 'traveling back in a time-machine' or 'taking examples from previous civilizations', or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot's_wife as she walked away from Sodom, or...:-?;-)

b

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Sorry sir, I thought 'moving back in time' , 'looking back in history' , and 'looking back at history', all mean the same.

I want to say for example,"looking back in history, it is difficult to identify one incident that caused so much deaths as the tsunami".

Is 'looking back in history' a correct phrase?
what else can I change this phrase with?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sorry sir, I thought 'moving back in time' , 'looking back in history' , and 'looking back at history', all mean the same.

I want to say for example,"looking back in history, it is difficult to identify one incident that caused so much deaths as the tsunami".

Is 'looking back in history' a correct phrase?
what else can I change this phrase with?
"Looking back through history, it is difficult to identify one incident that caused as many deaths as the tsunami" is a correct sentence. I'm not sure that it is a true statement, however.

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Thank you sir! And yes, there is no veracity in the statement whatsoever. I had just written it for the the sake of example.

By the way, Is my above sentence correct?

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you sir! And yes, there is no veracity in the statement whatsoever. I had just written it for the the sake of example.

By the way, Is my above sentence correct?

I don't think 'veracity' is the word you want; there's no truth in it; to my ear, 'veracity' means 'truthfulness' not 'truth': when a lawyer questions the veracity of a witness' he's not questioning whether the witness exists;-). But maybe I'm being picky.

And you just 'wrote' it - although if you were recounting the course of events, and wanted to clarify that one thing had occurred before another, the past perfect would be right. Many people might think it acceptable here, but to me it seems over-elaborate in this context and for your purpose..

b

Status
Not open for further replies.