English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi everybody,

Would you please tell me the name of the page of a newspaper concerning crime, murder, robbery, etc.? Is it right to call it "Crime"?
Thanks.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
There isn't usually a section dedicated to this sort of story. It's just the news.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
If there were such a page, it could be called the "crime page(s)" - similar to the "sports page(s)".

The problem, in a "politically correct" culture, is that you might have difficulty determining what you could actually print on such a page, as not until the courts convict someone is there any real decision on whether a crime was committed or not.

A defendant's case may rest on the possibility of the incident being an accident, say in a shooting incident.
Putting details of the case on a "crime page" may be regarded as prejudicing/prejudging the outcome of the trial.

Hope this helps
R21

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some newspapers have Law Reports pages, but those are where they print legal decisions, etc, and are for the legal profession.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Yes, I would agree with Tdol, in the case of law reports where they are reporting, after a court decision, on information that could set a precedent as part of "case law". As such, the decision on whether or not a crime had been committed would have already been determined.

There have been cases, in the UK, where, apparently, one of a number of masked burglars who broke into someone's property, was mortally wounded. The burglary would definitely be treated as a crime, but the householder could, and has, in the past, I believe, been charged with murder. I seem to remember a case, some time ago, involving, I believe, a farmer with a shotgun.

I believe that there are attempts under way to clarify this aspect of the law (e.g. wounding a thief in the back when they are trying to escape may be considered differently - (i.e. not considered a case of self defence).

Regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.