• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Pronounce a proper [ʌ]?

Quote Originally Posted by thatone View Post
    In the IPA, each symbol stands for a precise vowel.

/ʌ/ means you're just using the ʌ symbol to represent another vowel, which may or may not be close to a real ʌ. This is kind of broad, or phonemic transcription is what you find in dictionaries and schoolbooks. It's not mean to be very accurate.

[ʌ] means you're referring to the actual ʌ vowel. This is a narrow phonetic transcription.

For instance little is usually written as as /lɪtəl/ in dictionaries, but that transcription is not very accurate. If I wanted to to show someone the exact vowels and consonants I would transcribe it as [lɪtəɫ], [lɪʔɫ], [ɫɪtəɫ], [ɫɪtɫ], [ɫɪdɫ] or [ɫɪɾɫ] depending on the dialect in question.
    Oh I see. Little did I know that there was such a slight difference between these two symbols.
    Best regards!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DontBanMe View Post
    Well, I don't get it. Can you explain what the difference between the /ʌ/ and [ʌ] is?
    [ʌ] is the (secondary) cardinal vowel, number 14. It is precisely defined, and every trained phonetician in the world will produce it in exactly the same way.

/ʌ/ is a phonemic transcription, and it means what the person who uses it wants it to mean! Most Britsh writers use it for the various allophones of the phoneme in run, hull, sun, but, son, rough, blood, does, etc. It is close in sound to the IPA [ɐ]

ps. Sorry; I didn't spot thatones's post #10.
    Last edited by 5jj; 06-Jul-2011 at 12:47. Reason: ps added

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    [ʌ] is the (secondary) cardinal vowel, number 14. It is precisely defined, and every trained phonetician in the world will produce it in exactly the same way.

/ʌ/ is a phonemic transcription, and it means what the person who uses it wants it to mean! Most Britsh writers use it for the various allophones of the phoneme in run, hull, sun, but, son, rough, blood, does, etc. It is close in sound to the IPA [ɐ]

ps. Sorry; I didn't spot thatones's post #10.
    Well, Thank you for your explanation. You know what, I was extremely pumped last night as I realised that I didn't really need to place my tongue on the alveolar ridge PURPOSELY BEFORE making any alveolar sound like t,d,ch,dj and the l sounds (as for the dark l,im not sure if my tongue is touchin the alveolar ridge. I mean, when you pronounce the word correctly, your tongue is already there without you being aware of it. I can speak much faster than usual now. )Sorry, I just wanted to share what I felt with you guys.. I'm Sorry if I fly off on the tangent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2