Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hello, dear users of usingenglish.com.

It has been long since I last been here so I have got some questions and I hope you will help me with your kindly answers.
Thank you in advance!

How do you pronounce the following date:

12th January

I have learned that this may be uttered as 'The twelfth of January' or 'January the twelfth'.
But what if I said, e.g. 'I was born on twelve January, nineteen eighty six'? Would that be correct?
Are there any other ways of pronuncing this that I have missed?

Thanks, Alex.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, dear users of usingenglish.com.

It has been long since I last been here so I have got some questions and I hope you will help me with your kindly answers.
Thank you in advance!

How do you pronounce the following date:

12th January

I have learned that this may be uttered as 'The twelfth of January' or 'January the twelfth'.
But what if I said, e.g. 'I was born on twelve January, nineteen eighty six'? Would that be correct?
Are there any other ways of pronuncing this that I have missed?

Thanks, Alex.
"I was born on the tenth of July nineteen fifty" is how I say it.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE it's more common (almost standard, really) to use the month, day, year format:
"I was born on September twenty-fourth, nineteen seventy-seven."

"I remember when I bought my first car....it was on November twenty-third, nineteen eighty-two. I joked that it was the day before Thanksgiving and that I had something extra to be thankful for that year - my car loan had been approved!"

Sometimes folks will use the reverse format ("it was the twenty-third of November...") but that sounds more like a literary device or song lyric to casual listeners, and they might even jokingly point out the "dramatic" phrasing: "I remember when I bought my first car....it was the 23rd of November - " --(One of his friends interrupts his story and says in the serious tone of someone reciting a monologue)-- : "Ah, yes, the 23rd of November, it was a cold and snowy day here in Lake Wobegon...." :)

The major exception to this rule is July 4th, Independence Day in the U.S. That particular date is almost always referred to as "the fourth of July" (whether the holiday is being referred to or not). :usa

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Alex, have you looked at the Similar Threads at the bottom of the page?

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.