Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Here is the book named "Vocabulary for the High School Student," I wanted to ask you if this is a formal coursebook the students in the United States study during their high schook or something?
I would be grateful if you told me the name of the most important books for learning English?
Thanks,
Ata

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am interested in books which are studied as coursebooks in the schools of the United States, (Primary school, High School, etc) Did you happen to know the names of the books related to literature.
Thanks,
Ata

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
American high school students, for the most part, do not use separate books for vocabulary. Enriched vocabulary comes from enriched reading.

My experience with middle school so far is that teachers will cull out words from the literature they are reading, and ensure the students know and can use those words correctly.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
American high school students, for the most part, do not use separate books for vocabulary. Enriched vocabulary comes from enriched reading.

My experience with middle school so far is that teachers will cull out words from the literature they are reading, and ensure the students know and can use those words correctly.
I would realy like to know the name of some of them, if you didn't mind, so I may download some, thanks,

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The books they read in their English/literature classes tended to go along with what they were studying in social studies. For example, when they were studying the American Revolution, they read historical fiction set during the war. I can't remember any of the titles they read, but they were not books I'd heard of. They didn't enjoy them very much.

The one book I can remember from my older child's year this last year was the one that did not match their other curriculum: Watership Down.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The books they read in their English/literature classes tended to go along with what they were studying in social studies. For example, when they were studying the American Revolution, they read historical fiction set during the war. I can't remember any of the titles they read, but they were not books I'd heard of. They didn't enjoy them very much.

The one book I can remember from my older child's year this last year was the one that did not match their other curriculum: Watership Down.
I'm really into sociology and I really like to be familiar with the way of your studying, would you plz mention in what grade she was then?
Besides I wanted to ask you whether there are the same literature books for all the schools all over the country or not? Or the books are selected by their own teachers locally?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Decisions are school district by school district - required reading in one place may be a banned book in another. Even within the same school, different teachers may have different books they want their students to read.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Decisions are school district by school district - required reading in one place may be a banned book in another. Even within the same school, different teachers may have different books they want their students to read.
I appreciate your answering,
1. What is the meaning of "school district by school district" ?
2. My question here is that so in this system, comparing the students with different teachers even in the same school is somehow difficult. How come?
Thank you,
Ata

Status
Not open for further replies.