Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hello.

In the sentence 'I need to sleep 8 hours a night/day' my book says that the night is correct. Is the day then incorrect? (By the day I mean the whole day from the beginning of the previous night to the end of the current night)

Thanks, Alex.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello.

In the sentence 'I need to sleep 8 hours a night/day' my book says that the night is correct. Is the day then incorrect? (By the day I mean the whole day from the beginning of the previous night to the end of the current night)

Thanks, Alex.
'I need to sleep 8 hours a night' is more usual, but there is nothing wrong with using "day". Some people work at night and sleep during the day.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Eight hours a day is commonly taken to mean a more-or-less continuous period of eight hours during each 24-hour day.

Eight hours sleep can be taken at any time - whether it's daylight outside or night-time.

Rover

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Thanks, Alex.

I understand what you mean, but if someone made that statement to me (i.e. using 'day'), they would have to include a more precise meaning. Even with your definition, it would not be clear to me whether your sleep occurs during the day, during the night or at intervals of sleep throughout a 24 hour period. Suggest you follow your book's rule/answer.

Last edited:

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I understand what you mean, but if someone made that statement to me (i.e. using 'day'), they would have to include a more precise meaning. Even with your definition, it would not be clear to me whether your sleep occurs during the day, during the night or at intervals of sleep throughout a 24 hour period. Suggest you follow your book's rule/answer.

Thanks, billcmd, for your thorough reply.

Now I understand that there is some difference in Russian's equivalent.

Thanks, Alex.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

.... Or just use the colloquial 'I need my eight hours'. the [sleep] is understood.

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello.

Thanks, Alex.
"the night" is wrong.
"a night" and "a day" are correct.
If you say, "I only sleep 2 hours a day" (but you sleep 6 hours each night), then you are being perverse, and not communicating in good faith.
The same applies if you say, without explaining, "I only sleep 2 hours every night" (if you sleep for 6 hours during the day).
If you want to specify that you are talking about "during the day" or "at night", etc. then you should use those terms, not "a day" or "a night".

Status
Not open for further replies.