Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: ye olde

  1. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #1

    ye olde

    How would you pronounce "ye" in this name? I am interested in learning whether the etymologically justified pronunciation survives. When a person knows that this pronunciation is /iː/ or /ə/, do they usually pronounce the word this way? (Of couse, they will rarely have reason to say it, but what would they choose if they had to?)

  2. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 113
    #2
    Last edited by DontBanMe; 06-Jul-2011 at 08:23.

  3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #3

    Re: ye olde

    Quote Originally Posted by DontBanMe View Post
    Thank you, but it doesn't really help. I already knew what is written there. I would like to know how people pronounce it.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,037
    #4

    Re: ye olde

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Thank you, but it doesn't really help. I already knew what is written there. I would like to know how people pronounce it.
    There's a button you can click.

    But I think the compilers have been tempted by their knowledge to make more of an elision than I am used to hearing. The pronunciation on that page is almost a monosyllable; whereas the version I commonly hear is /ji: ɒldi:/ (sometimes without the final /i:/).

    I'm not a fan of 'sounds like' statements (as, if the example is already mispronounced, then the new word will perpetuate the same mispronunciation); but in this case I feel justified as many people feel there's a link between this sort of 'ye' and the archaic 2nd person plural 'ye' - "They're both archaic so who cares about the difference in meaning? It's the same word.' Of course, it's not.)

    b

  5. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #5

    Re: ye olde

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    There's a button you can click.

    But I think the compilers have been tempted by their knowledge to make more of an elision than I am used to hearing. The pronunciation on that page is almost a monosyllable; whereas the version I commonly hear is /ji: ɒldi:/ (sometimes without the final /i:/).

    I'm not a fan of 'sounds like' statements (as, if the example is already mispronounced, then the new word will perpetuate the same mispronunciation); but in this case I feel justified as many people feel there's a link between this sort of 'ye' and the archaic 2nd person plural 'ye' - "They're both archaic so who cares about the difference in meaning? It's the same word.' Of course, it's not.)

    b
    Thanks. Do you ever hear the /iː/ pronunciation? Different dictionaries give different information on this, so I'm note sure what the truth is. If you heard someone use this pronunciation, would you find them pretentious?

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: ye olde

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I think the compilers have been tempted by their knowledge to make more of an elision than I am used to hearing. The pronunciation on that page is almost a monosyllable; whereas the version I commonly hear is /ji: ɒldi:/ (sometimes without the final /i:/).
    I agree.

    I have never heard the /iː/ pronunciation.

    I would consider it pretentious and/or silly. As far as I am concerned, this mock olde worlde word is 'ye', pronounced /ji:/

  7. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 60,722
    #7

    Re: ye olde

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Thanks. Do you ever hear the /iː/ pronunciation? Different dictionaries give different information on this, so I'm note sure what the truth is. If you heard someone use this pronunciation, would you find them pretentious?
    I have only ever heard /j/. If someone used //, it would be hard to know what the spelling was.

Similar Threads

  1. olde English
    By jzerusi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2008, 17:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •