Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How would you pronounce "ye" in this name? I am interested in learning whether the etymologically justified pronunciation survives. When a person knows that this pronunciation is /ðiː/ or /ðə/, do they usually pronounce the word this way? (Of couse, they will rarely have reason to say it, but what would they choose if they had to?)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, but it doesn't really help. I already knew what is written there. I would like to know how people pronounce it.

There's a button you can click.

But I think the compilers have been tempted by their knowledge to make more of an elision than I am used to hearing. The pronunciation on that page is almost a monosyllable; whereas the version I commonly hear is /ji: ɒldi:/ (sometimes without the final /i:/).

I'm not a fan of 'sounds like' statements (as, if the example is already mispronounced, then the new word will perpetuate the same mispronunciation); but in this case I feel justified as many people feel there's a link between this sort of 'ye' and the archaic 2nd person plural 'ye' - "They're both archaic so who cares about the difference in meaning? It's the same word.' Of course, it's not.)

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There's a button you can click.

But I think the compilers have been tempted by their knowledge to make more of an elision than I am used to hearing. The pronunciation on that page is almost a monosyllable; whereas the version I commonly hear is /ji: ɒldi:/ (sometimes without the final /i:/).

I'm not a fan of 'sounds like' statements (as, if the example is already mispronounced, then the new word will perpetuate the same mispronunciation); but in this case I feel justified as many people feel there's a link between this sort of 'ye' and the archaic 2nd person plural 'ye' - "They're both archaic so who cares about the difference in meaning? It's the same word.' Of course, it's not.)

b
Thanks. Do you ever hear the /ðiː/ pronunciation? Different dictionaries give different information on this, so I'm note sure what the truth is. If you heard someone use this pronunciation, would you find them pretentious?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think the compilers have been tempted by their knowledge to make more of an elision than I am used to hearing. The pronunciation on that page is almost a monosyllable; whereas the version I commonly hear is /ji: ɒldi:/ (sometimes without the final /i:/).
I agree.

I have never heard the /ðiː/ pronunciation.

I would consider it pretentious and/or silly. As far as I am concerned, this mock olde worlde word is 'ye', pronounced /ji:/

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks. Do you ever hear the /ðiː/ pronunciation? Different dictionaries give different information on this, so I'm note sure what the truth is. If you heard someone use this pronunciation, would you find them pretentious?

I have only ever heard /j/. If someone used /ð/, it would be hard to know what the spelling was.

Status
Not open for further replies.