Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
Can the verb 'regulate' be used for humans? The example once I heard must be something like, 'our boss has regulated us not to wear informal dress'. What does it exactly mean in this context? (to establish discipline by force?!)

Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi all,
Can the verb 'regulate' be used for humans? The example once I heard must be something like, 'our boss has regulated us not to wear informal dress'. What does it exactly mean in this context? (to establish discipline by force?!)

Thanks!
Was that written by a native speaker? I've never heard it.

There is one situation I know about where it's possible. A mentally ill person can be "regulated". This means "certified", or placed under a regulation of the Mental Health Act - for most purposes, it means they are able to be detained without permission, locked up for treatment.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Was that written by a native speaker? I've never heard it.

There is one situation I know about where it's possible. A mentally ill person can be "regulated". This means "certified", or placed under a regulation of the Mental Health Act - for most purposes, it means they are able to be detained without permission, locked up for treatment.

Thank you so much! No, not indeed. A friend insisted that he had heard it used that way.

Thank you for the information! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.