• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

meaning of "hook"

Nothing's given out of love. Everything's got a hook in it!

hook 1 S3 / hʊk / noun [ countable ]

1 hanging things a curved piece of metal or plastic that you use for hanging things on → peg : Tom hung his coat on the hook behind the door.

2 catching fish a curved piece of thin metal with a sharp point for catching fish
    3 let/get somebody off the hook to allow someone or help someone to get out of a difficult situation : I wasn’t prepared to let her off the hook that easily.

4 leave/take the phone off the hook to leave or take the telephone receiver (= the part you speak into ) off the part where it is usually placed so that no one can call you
    5 be ringing off the hook American English if your telephone is ringing off the hook, a lot of people are calling you
    6 interest something that is attractive and gets people’s interest and attention SYN draw : You always need a bit of a hook to get people to go to the theatre.

7 by hook or by crook if you are going to do something by hook or by crook, you are determined to do it, whatever methods you have to use : The police are going to get these guys, by hook or by crook.

8 hitting somebody a way of hitting your opponent in boxing , in which your elbow is bent → punch , jab
    9 hook, line, and sinker if someone believes something hook, line, and sinker, they believe a lie completely
    boat hook , curtain hook , → sling your hook at sling 1 ( 4 )
    Which definition applies to "hook" in the sentence I quoted above? It seems like hook refers to a hidden motive.
    Noting is given out of love, there's always a hidden motive for doing so. Yet, I can't find this definition.

Does anyone know? Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: meaning of "hook"

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    Nothing's given out of love. Everything's got a hook in it!

Which definition applies to "hook" in the sentence I quoted above? It seems like hook refers to a hidden motive.
    Noting is given out of love, there's always a hidden motive for doing so. Yet, I can't find this definition.

Does anyone know? Thanks.

I am not familiar with "hook" used in that way. "Everything's got a catch" is more usual.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: meaning of "hook"

It's obvious from the context that it's a figurative usage, based on meaning 2. The fish thinks it's getting food, but the food is only a device to get the fish onto the hook. Think of that transaction in a sexual/social context.

But it's not idiomatic

b