Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I know you built your sundeck without a permit and I am calling it in.
call in phrasal verb
1 call somebody/something ↔ in to ask someone to come and help you with a difficult situation : The government then called in troops to deal with the disturbances.

2 to telephone somewhere, especially the place where you work, to tell them where you are, what you are doing etc : Rachael called in sick (= telephoned to say she was too ill to come to work ) .

3 to telephone a radio or television show to give your opinion or to ask a question : Over 2,000 viewers called in with complaints about the bad language used in the programme.

4 call in a loan/debt to officially tell someone to pay back money you lent them : The bank can call in the loan at any time.

5 British English to visit a person or place while you are on your way to somewhere else call in on/at Could you call in on Mum on your way home?

Which definiton applies to the sentence I quoted above? It seems like "to call it in" means to tell on them. So one person built the sundeck without the permit and the other one is going to call the company to let them know. Am I right.

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Which definiton applies to the sentence I quoted above? It seems like "to call it in" means to tell on them. So one person built the sundeck without the permit and the other one is going to call the company to let them know. Am I right.

Thanks.
I don't think any of those definitions of "call in" describes what you want.
I agree that it means to tell on them, or to "dob them in" as we say in Aus.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Thanks. It's not the first time that the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English doesn't provide a particular definition.

Is this a common definition (to tell on someone) of "call in"? (Maybe it's not common so it's not included in the dictionary).

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks. It's not the first time that the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English doesn't provide a particular definition.

Is this a common definition (to tell on someone) of "call in"? (Maybe it's not common so it's not included in the dictionary).

Thanks.
No, it's not common, and I wouldn't have thought to include it. But that almost has to be what the sentence means. In fact, there's an even more common meaning they haven't included - to call someone in (inside) for dinner, etc.

But in the sentence, the person can't be calling the sundeck inside! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.