Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Can we define those kinds of jeans or trousers teenagers and, more generally, young people wear low, showing off their bottoms very often, "sagging jeans"?
I read an article on a newspaper, whose title was "Belt up, young man!" where they talked about Florida's attempt to ban young people from "sagging", that's as far as I caught, wearing jeans so low they show their underpants or their knickers...
Now, my question is: is this sort of low waist jeans called sagging jeans? So, if for example, we get in a shop and we'd like to buy a pair of these jeans, what should we be asking for?
Any explanations?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Can we define those kinds of jeans or trousers teenagers and, more generally, young people wear low, showing off their bottoms very often, "sagging jeans"?
I read an article on a newspaper, whose title was "Belt up, young man!" where they talked about Florida's attempt to ban young people from "sagging", that's as far as I caught, wearing jeans so low they show their underpants or their knickers...
Now, my question is: is this sort of low waist jeans called sagging jeans? So, if for example, we get in a shop and we'd like to buy a pair of these jeans, what should we be asking for?
Any explanations?
"Low-waist jeans" differ from what you describe. They simply have a lower waist than regular jeans and are fashionable in some circles.. "Sagging jeans" is not really a style of clothing, but a way of wearing jeans that are about two sizes larger than what you would normally need. So, if you have a 32" waist, simply buy a size 36. You'll notice that the crotch on these pants will probably land somewhere close to your knees.:)
Look here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagging_(fashion)

Last edited:

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks so much for the explanation. :-D But if I get in a shop and I want to buy a low-waist-jeans, what can I say?

- I'm looking for a low-waist-jeans.

Does it sound natural?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Thanks so much for the explanation. :-D But if I get in a shop and I want to buy a low-waist-jeans, what can I say?

- I'm looking for a low-waist-jeans.

Does it sound natural?
I'm looking for low-waist jeans.
Do you have any low-waist jeans?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is technically a small difference between low-waist jeans and sagging jeans.....low-waist jeans would refer to this hip-hugging style. Low-waist jeans still fit snugly around the hips, thighs and backside. If you want your jeans to sag OG-style** ("Original Gangster") then you simply need to buy a pair of jeans that are at least one or two sizes larger than you would normally wear. The waistband in said jeans is meant to fit around your waist, but instead slides down loosely to reveal half of your backside.

**The origin of this particular "fashion" comes from U.S. prisons - when a person is first booked into jail, the authorities remove any item of clothing that could be used as a weapon or be used as an instrument of suicide. So all prisoners are relieved of the belts that they wear to hold up their pants in the (previously) normal position. As a result, the prisoner's pants sagged down. Prisoners also must surrender their shoelaces (again, a person could use a shoelace to strangle himself or another inmate), which is why, for a time, laceless sneakers were a hot fashion trend. Rather a sad comment on the state of popular culture that ordinary citizens emulate convicted criminals and their style.

Status
Not open for further replies.