Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello!

I never know if we are supposed to use the present perfect or the past simple in the following cases. Can you help me please?

-Did you receive//Have you received my email?

-Did you receive/Have you received my letter?

Thank you
Will

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're both correct- context would determine which works better.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello!

I never know if we are supposed to use the present perfect or the past simple in the following cases. Can you help me please?

-Did you receive//Have you received my email?

-Did you receive/Have you received my letter?

Thank you
Will
You use "Have you received ...?" if there is still a chance that they will receive it in the future.

Here's an example:
If you sent a snail mail yesterday, you might ask, today, "Have you received my letter [yet]?"
But if you sent the letter three months ago, it should have been delivered by now. If it hasn't been delivered it's probably lost, and won't be delivered. You'd ask, "Did you recieve my letter?"
This is only an example. You need to think about the concept behind it (unfortunately), not just the words I've used to explain it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You use "Have you received ...?" if there is still a chance that they will receive it in the future.

Here's an example:
If you sent a snail mail yesterday, you might ask, today, "Have you received my letter [yet]?"
But if you sent the letter three months ago, it should have been delivered by now. If it hasn't been delivered it's probably lost, and won't be delivered. You'd ask, "Did you recieve my letter?"
This is only an example. You need to think about the concept behind it (unfortunately), not just the words I've used to explain it.

I think if I was querying receipt three months after posting it, I'd be inclined to ask "Haven't you received my letter yet?!"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think if I was querying receipt three months after posting it, I'd be inclined to ask "Haven't you received my letter yet?!"
Maybe, but I was trying to make this as simple as possible. Let us assume that if a letter is not received within three months, then it is lost. That's necessary for my example, as I've given it. By all means, think of a better example that will differentiate these two tenses if you like.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe, but I was trying to make this as simple as possible. Let us assume that if a letter is not received within three months, then it is lost. That's necessary for my example, as I've given it. By all means, think of a better example that will differentiate these two tenses if you like.

No, I thought yours were great! Just thought I'd add my bit!

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. A certain magician died last week, and he had a big funeral.
A: He must have been popular to have such a big funeral.
B: Yes he was. Didn't you ever see his act? (It's too late to see it.)

2. A certain singer is still alive, and is putting on a concert.
A: Is she very famous?
B: Of course. Haven't you ever heard her sing? (It's still possible to hear her sing.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. A certain magician died last week, and he had a big funeral.
A: He must have been popular to have such a big funeral.
B: Yes he was. Didn't you ever see his act? (It's too late to see it.)

2. A certain singer is still alive, and is putting on a concert.
A: Is she very famous?
B: Of course. Haven't you ever heard her sing? (It's still possible to hear her sing.)
Perfect examples of situations in which the difference is clear; almost certainly, all native speakers (of BrE, at least) would use the same tenses as Raymott. In the case of asking about the letter, the tense depends entirely on how the speaker views the situation at the moment of speaking.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In the case of asking about the letter, the tense depends entirely on how the speaker views the situation at the moment of speaking.
Exactly. It depends on the context, as Tdol has said. I think that what Will17 was asking was, "What is this contextual difference, then?"
How must the speaker view the situation at the moment of speaking to say "Have you received the letter?", compared to how the person must see the situation to say, "Did you receive the letter?"
Perhaps the correct answer is to tell him to learn the differences between the usage of the past tense and the present perfect, and to apply it correctly to the situation of receiving letters. :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.