Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
Hi, I would like to know what the difference between dialect and accent exactly is, please be detailed teachers, thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, I would like to know what the difference between dialect and accent exactly is, please be detailed teachers, thanks

An accent is how you speak a language - the specific sound of the words when you speak them.

A dialect is a version of a language. Some of the words might be the same as the main language, some are not.

In mainland UK, (most) people speak standard English all using the same words. However, people from London will say words in a slightly different way (same word, different sound) from people in Liverpool or Manchester, for example. They have a London/Liverpool/Manchester accent but they don't speak a dialect.

In Spain, most people speak Castilian (the Spanish that is generally recognised). However, in Barcelona, for example, they speak Catalan - a dialect. You can see similiarities with Castilian but the spelling is very different, many words are completely different from their Castilian equivalent.

In extreme cases, two people from the same country, but who speak different dialects, won't be able to understand each other.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland

NOT A TEACHER.

I think "accent" describes only the way you pronounce words, while "dialect" refers also to the words and expressions you use.

pubctx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
Thank you emsr2d2, you too Allen165

Status
Not open for further replies.