• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Citation in English

Hi! I study English at a college here in Germany and I'm currently writing a research paper about the placebo effect in one of my seminars. We are supposed to cite according to MLA, but I am entirely confused right now.
    Since the topic is quite complicated, I have to cite and paraphrase quite often. Several paragraphs are based on the information of one of my sources (usually it's based on one page only, though).

How do I cite the source for the entire paragraph? I can't write (Book Page) and then (Page) after every sentence since that would look really stupid.Can I just put (Book Page) at the end of the paragraph?
    If not, what alternatives do I have? It's not my task to reinvent the wheel, right?
    Some information I found on google said that I have to write (Book Page) after each sentence, that's why I'm so confused. Please help!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Citation in English

Doubtless some useful answers will come in from people who know about these things. If not, try asking your teachers/lecturers/tutors. These are the people who know what they consider to be acceptable.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by hein103 View Post
    How do I cite the source for the entire paragraph? I can't write (Book Page) and then (Page) after every sentence since that would look really stupid.
    Well, you can do that. It's probably not necessary though.

Can I just put (Book Page) at the end of the paragraph? No, you must put the citation at the end of the first sentence in which you refer to the source.

If not, what alternatives do I have? It's not my task to reinvent the wheel, right?
    Some information I found on google said that I have to write (Book Page) after each sentence, that's why I'm so confused. Please help!
    As the 5jj says, ask the person who is going to mark it.
    But, here's what I do. If what you are discussing in that paragraph clearly all refers to one paragraph in the reference, you needn't keep citing the page number. However, you have to signal in some way that it does all refer to that reference, eg.

This new idea has been described by Smith (Smith, 2000, p123)*. He explains the concept in lucid terms. This paper takes a slightly different approach, in that .... Whereas Smith sees it as ...
    None of these sentences requires a new citation. However, if you went on:
    In his explanation, Smith describes it as "a brave new concept which we have waited for for decades" (p.123)
    That is, if you give a quotation, you always need to cite the reference.

* Or whatever the MLA equivalent is.

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Thank you, you really helped me out here . I will make a reference at the beginning of the paragraph and cite it there and at the end of the paragraph.
    My lecturer is quite tolerant, I think. But I'd like to do it as correct as possible.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Remember that utility is more imporant than aesthetic when you are writing a scientific paper. Always ask yourself if you have done everything to make the references as easy to use as possible. Try to put yourself in the reader's place so you can see whether you need to change anything.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Normally, if you use APA or MLA, choosing one and sticking to it, the professor will be fine with that, unless he is a fool.