Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

Could you please tell me if the teacher in the welcome.mp3 below is saying "...I'm glad you've joined us, we have a lot to learn together this week."?

I also have a question about what tense is appropriate to use here to ask the above question, that is, which is better to use?
- if she is saying... / what is she saying?
- if she was saying... / what was she saying?
- if she said... / what did she say?
- if she has said... / what has she said?

Thank you!

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Heidi.
She does appear to say "I'm glad you joined us.." rather than "you've".
The way you have phrased your question is fine.

not a teacher

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do you think it's correct to say "my name is Andrea, I'm glad you joined us, we have a lot to learn together this week", as the teacher introduces herself and welcomes everyone to join her to learn English together, using 'I'm glad you joined us' instead of 'I'm glad you've joined us'?

Thank you!

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
Do you think it's correct to say "my name is Andrea, I'm glad you joined us, we have a lot to learn together this week", as the teacher introduces herself and welcomes everyone to join her to learn English together, using 'I'm glad you joined us' instead of 'I'm glad you've joined us'?
Yes.

The present perfect is probably more natural for BrE speakers, but the past simple is fine.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes.

The present perfect is probably more natural for BrE speakers, but the past simple is fine.

:up: ... not only more natural but also carrying different implications. For me, 'I'm glad you joined us' implies 'IIm glad you took the decision to join us, there being a dsitinct possibility that you might not' - the simple action in the past is the decision.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.