Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
To discover that abortion was one of the greatest crime-lowering factors in American
history is, needless to say, jarring. It feels less Darwinian than Swiftian; it calls to mind a
long ago dart attributed to G. K. Chesterton: when there aren’t enough hats to go around,
the problem isn’t solved by lopping off some heads.
dart 2 noun

1 [ countable ] a small pointed object that is thrown or shot as a weapon, or one that is thrown in the game of darts : a poisoned dart

2 darts [ uncountable ] a game in which darts are thrown at a round board with numbers on it
3 [ singular ] a sudden quick movement in a particular direction : The prisoner made a dart for the door.

4 dart of guilt/panic/pain etc a very sudden, sharp feeling : It sent a dart of terror through her.

5 [ countable ] a small fold put into a piece of clothing to make it fit better

None of these definitions apply. My feeling is that dart in this context means something along the lines of either a "saying" or "wisdom".

Am I correct here? If so, why is a dart charecteristic for a "saying".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

None of these definitions apply. My feeling is that dart in this context means something along the lines of either a "saying" or "wisdom".

Am I correct here? If so, why is a dart charecteristic for a "saying".
You don't say which dictionary you are quoting. (You should).
Whichever it is, you don't seem to be getting much value from it. Have you considered others?

b : something causing sudden pain or distress <darts of sarcasm>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dart

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Thanks.

I was quoting the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. As pointed out by teachers, this is one of the best dictionaries. Granted, not all definitions are included. I have considered other dictionaries, but for learners, this seems to the best one out there. I occasionally use other dictionaries (Concise Oxford English Dictionary and the Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner's English Dictionary), none of had the definition I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.