Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The spectators were excited and sitting on the edge/edges of their chairs.

I believe it should be 'edges' although my daughter's teacher says that it should be 'edge'. Is she correct or am I?

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The spectators were excited and sitting on the edge/edges of their chairs.

I believe it should be 'edges' although my daughter's teacher says that it should be 'edge'. Is she correct or am I?

Thanks.
I'd accept either. But there's a good reason for using 'edge', since a chair has several edges. If 'edges' is used, it could mean that the people were sitting on several edges at the one time.
This isn't important in this case, because it's a well-known saying. But in some cases, using a plural in this grammatical context could lead to confusion.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here we only say edge of our seats, never edges. It's a specific edge, the front one!

Not a teacher.
:)

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You are both mistaken. Either way it is fine (and not just one or the other). Style and preference.
:-?

Well if edge and edges are both incorrect, what is the correct answer? As was mentioned it is a well known idiom so even if you used the plural form what you meant would still be understood. I don't think it is an issue of style and preference, at least I don't see how it can be, I could be wrong of course.:-? "Edge of our seats" (idiom) and "edges of our seats" mean two different things, don't they?

Not a teacher.
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) The phrase is (in BrE at least) "on the edge of one's seat" (not chair).

2) No matter how many people there are, as far as I'm concerned "edge" remains in the singular: There are 10 people sitting on the edge of their seats. That fits the actual phrase and, as someone else pointed out, "edges" just doesn't have the same connotation of excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.