• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

it

He's coming up the school later to have a word with Mrs Fields about how well I'm not doing in class. I'm trying, but it's all really hard. When Mum does it with me at home it's all right, but when I get to school I can't do it any more. Except spelling. I'm quite good at that.

What dose "it" mean exactly in this case? Pls.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Re: it

NOT A TEACHER

Here's my two cents.

When Mum does it with me at home it's all right, but when I get to school I can't do it any more.
    Here it probably refers to, for example math problems, or any problems that a schoolchild has to solve. It's all right when mum helps him, but he can't handle them on his own.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: it

Quote Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
    He's coming up the school later to have a word with Mrs Fields about how well I'm not doing in class. I'm trying, but it's all really hard. When Mum does it with me at home it's all right, but when I get to school I can't do it any more. Except spelling. I'm quite good at that.

What dose "it" mean exactly in this case? Pls.
    The piece doesn't specify which subject they're talking about. They just say "in class" so I assume that he/she is having trouble with everything when they're at school but find everything easier at home when they have help. "It" could be anything done at school which also involves work at home.