• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

sear (v)

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

It seared with sharp color and ringing sound. Cold on her skin, pain gripping her limbs, burning them.

It was in vain that the amiable divine tried to give salutary pain to that seared conscience.

sear =
    to expose to a degree of heat such as changes the color or the hardness and texture of the surface; to sear the skin or flesh. Also used figuratively.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: sear (v)

What does it refer to in the first?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Te sentence in question is from The Host" by Stepheny Mayer that has made a noise in the world lately.

I felt the sedation wearing off and lucidity taking its place. I braced myself for the onslaught of the first memory, which would really be the last memory—the last moments this body had experienced, the memory of the end. I had been warned thoroughly of what would happen now.

These human emotions would be stronger, more vital than the feelings of any other species I had been. I had tried to prepare myself.

The memory came. And, as I’d been warned, it was not something that could ever be prepared for.

It seared with sharp color and ringing sound. Cold on her skin, pain gripping her limbs, burning them. The taste was fiercely metallic in her mouth. And there was the new sense, the fifth sense I’d never had, that took the particles from the air and transformed them into strange messages and pleasures and warnings in her brain—scents. They were distracting, confusing to me, but not to her memory. The memory had no time for the novelties of smell. The memory was only fear.

evoke an image of a time when you have experienced sharp, intense pain. Different colors flash into the mind, and the ears start to ring. With sharp clarity. I guess that's what you'd feel if something cauterized (seared) you.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 12-Jul-2011 at 07:08.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I agree; it's the burning sense of the word here. With the wider context, I like the use there, like synaesthesia.