Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #1

    realistic Victorians

    Hi

    She had come home in a state for which no twentieth century
    physician had a term, though the realistic Victorians called it a decline.

    Does "Victorians" mean here all the poeple who lived at the time, not only authors for example?

    Does "realistic" mean something like "practical"?

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: realistic Victorians

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    She had come home in a state for which no twentieth century physician had a term, though the realistic Victorians called it a decline.
    Does "Victorians" mean here all the poeple who lived at the time, not only authors for example? Yes, as it usually does.


    Does "realistic" mean something like "practical"? Yes - practical, down-to-earth, unsentimental.
    Though the Victorians were revoltingly sentimental about some things.

  3. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #3

    Re: realistic Victorians

    By the way, do you think that "decline" means the same as "depression"?

  4. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #4

    Re: realistic Victorians

    I think that "realistic" might mean "of literary realism" rather than "practical". I'm not sure about it.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: realistic Victorians

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    By the way, do you think that "decline" means the same as "depression"?
    Possibly. I interpreted it as some form of loss of will to live, perhaps as a result of mental and/or physical illness. Today, treatment would be attempted; then, they accepted that some things can't be treated. Some people took to their beds and waited for the inevitable.

  6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 60,241
    #6

    Re: realistic Victorians

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Possibly. I interpreted it as some form of loss of will to live, perhaps as a result of mental and/or physical illness. Today, treatment would be attempted; then, they accepted that some things can't be treated. Some people took to their beds and waited for the inevitable.
    Followed by a last train journey from London Necropolis Station. I wonder what we'd call it today.

Similar Threads

  1. cyclic, realistic, on
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2008, 13:37
  2. have a (real or realistic?) picture of oneself
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2008, 15:15
  3. Real vs Realistic
    By belly_ttt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2007, 14:17
  4. real/realistic/feasible
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2006, 11:14
  5. Realistic transcripts
    By Fatter Than Harry in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-Apr-2005, 03:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •