Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Does this part sound proper in English?

A degree is from a big university has more prestige and can open the door to a better future. Which employers like to hire a student graduated from a small ,unknown college. But, when your degree is from Standford university, it makes a big difference.

Thank you for your response.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does this part sound proper in English?

A degree is from a big university has more prestige and can open the door to a better future. Which employers like to hire a student graduated from a small ,unknown college. But, when your degree is from Standford university, it makes a big difference.

Thank you for your response.

A degree from a well-respected, large university has great prestige and can open the door to a better future. What employer would want to hire a student who graduated from a small unknown college? However, when your degree is from Stanford, it makes a big difference.

That would be my version. Check some of your spelling and punctuation. In the first part, you had said "more prestige" but then you didn't go on to explain more than what so I changed it. You might want to choose either university or college, not both. I believe that in the USA, you would only have to say "Stanford" and everyone would know where you meant.

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Thank you so much.

First, if I say more ''prestige than a degree from a small one'' then my sentence will be OK?

Second, when I say Harvrd, Cambridge, I don't need to use the word university. Am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much.

First, if I say more ''prestige than a degree from a small one'' then my sentence will be OK?

Second, when I say Harvrd, Cambridge, I don't need to use the word university. Am I right?

I would have gone with "A degree from a large, well-respected university has more prestige than one from a smaller, less well-known establishment" or something similar.

With very famous universities (Stanford, Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge) I would say it's not completely necessary to add University after it. However, on a CV or in a formal letter I would always give the full name of the university.

Status
Not open for further replies.