Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 695
    #1

    makes sense

    Hi,

    What does "he makes sense" mean here?

    As it turned out, he's not just a loose cannon. He makes sense.

    Thanks a lot

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #2

    Re: makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Hi,

    What does "he makes sense" mean here?

    As it turned out, he's not just a loose cannon. He makes sense.

    Thanks a lot
    The things that he says or does are sensible, they are logical. If someone is a loose cannon, they do irrational things and it's difficult to predict what they will do. However, in this case, it appears that the writer has found out that the person is not actually a loose cannon, the things he does are actually rational and sensible, well thought through.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Jul 2011
    • Posts: 8
    #3

    Re: makes sense

    There is method in/to his madness.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 695
    #4

    Re: makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The things that he says or does are sensible, they are logical. If someone is a loose cannon, they do irrational things and it's difficult to predict what they will do. However, in this case, it appears that the writer has found out that the person is not actually a loose cannon, the things he does are actually rational and sensible, well thought through.
    Thanks a lot. The "just" baffles me here, what does "not just" mean, "not simply"?

    Thanks a lot

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #5

    Re: makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Thanks a lot. The "just" baffles me here, what does "not just" mean, "not simply"?

    Thanks a lot
    I'd agree that this usage of "just" is difficult to justify. I'd say it's unnecessary and indeed confusing. I wouldn't have noticed it though.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I'd agree that this usage of "just" is difficult to justify. I'd say it's unnecessary and indeed confusing. I wouldn't have noticed it though.
    I didn't notice it either, but it's wrong. It would be OK in:

    He's not just a loose cannon - he's a he's a loose battery (of cannon).

    Not a very good example, but it makes the point that 'just' requires something stronger to follow what has been selected, not a contrast.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #7

    Re: makes sense

    The interesting thing is that I can well imagine myself saying this sentence. It somehow doesn't sound wrong. Or at least it didn't. I guess it's because "just" is so often used just to prolong communication.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #8

    Re: makes sense

    "Just" would usually be used in place of "only" but that doesn't really work in that sentence. Had it said "He's not just a loose cannon, he's actually dangerous" or "He's not just a loose cannon, he's also unpredictable and a bit weird" or something similar, the "just" would have made more sense. I didn't notice it either, though.

Similar Threads

  1. Which makes more sense?
    By bouji in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2009, 07:35
  2. does this sentence makes sense?
    By naphelge in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2009, 09:09
  3. that makes sense?
    By changeling in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2008, 23:19
  4. Which one makes more sense?
    By lasebaiyewun2007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2008, 08:08
  5. Which one makes more sense?
    By lasebaiyewun2007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2008, 07:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •