• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile ~~~~

1.I saw this expression on the paper, "I've found it possible for our team to win."
    but I think the correct English should be "I've found it was possible for our team to win." Am I right ? =)

2. We don't care if a hunting dog smells___ , but we really don't want him to smell___.
    A. well , badly B. Badly, bad
    The answer is B, but I think A is also correct, just it expresses an opposite meaning. is that true?

Thanks to all the teachers, I know most of my questions are doubtable, but these clumsy questions are from China's most authoritative English test --College Entrance Examination or English Band Test

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Re: ~~~~

I saw this expression on the paper, "I've found it possible for our team to win."
    This is a well-formed sentence.

2. We don't care if a hunting dog smells___ , but we really don't want him to smell___.
    B is correct.

badly =adverb
    bad =adjective

The first "smell" denotes ability; the second "smell" denotes quality. The first "smell" is an intransitive verb, the second is a linking verb. Linking verbs allow adjectival complementation, intransitive verbs do not.

The dog notices odours badly, smells badly.
    The dog exudes unpleasant odours; it smells bad.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Please give a sensible title to your threads. We like to have some idea of what we may be dealing with.

The sentence on the paper is acceptable. Yours would be better as:

I've found it was is possible for our team to win. or:
    I 've found it was possible for our team to win.

The answer is B, but I think A is also correct, just it expresses an opposite meaning. is that true?

No.

In my opinion, the word for the first gap is bad. If a dog smells bad, it stinks. This is not important in a hunting dog.
    The word for the second gap is badly. If a hunting dog smells badly, it is not much use - it has a poor sense of smell. However, this is an unnatural sentence. In this situation we would actually say:

We dont care if a hunting dog smells bad, but we really don't want him to have a poor sense of smell.

3. Junior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Can I say----
    We dont care if a hunting dog smells good, but we really don't want him to have a poor sense of smell.