Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1.I saw this expression on the paper, "I've found it possible for our team to win."
but I think the correct English should be "I've found it was possible for our team to win." Am I right ? =)

2. We don't care if a hunting dog smells___ , but we really don't want him to smell___.
A. well , badly B. Badly, bad
The answer is B, but I think A is also correct, just it expresses an opposite meaning. is that true?

Thanks to all the teachers, I know most of my questions are doubtable, but these clumsy questions are from China's most authoritative English test --College Entrance Examination or English Band Test

Diagon

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I saw this expression on the paper, "I've found it possible for our team to win."

This is a well-formed sentence.

2. We don't care if a hunting dog smells___ , but we really don't want him to smell___.

B is correct.

badly =adverb
bad =adjective

The first "smell" denotes ability; the second "smell" denotes quality. The first "smell" is an intransitive verb, the second is a linking verb. Linking verbs allow adjectival complementation, intransitive verbs do not.

The dog notices odours badly, smells badly.
The dog exudes unpleasant odours; it smells bad.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please give a sensible title to your threads. We like to have some idea of what we may be dealing with.

The sentence on the paper is acceptable. Yours would be better as:

I've found it [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] is possible for our team to win. or:
I [STRIKE]'ve[/STRIKE] found it was possible for our team to win.

The answer is B, but I think A is also correct, just it expresses an opposite meaning. is that true?

No.

In my opinion, the word for the first gap is bad. If a dog smells bad, it stinks. This is not important in a hunting dog.
The word for the second gap is badly. If a hunting dog smells badly, it is not much use - it has a poor sense of smell. However, this is an unnatural sentence. In this situation we would actually say:

We dont care if a hunting dog smells bad, but we really don't want him to have a poor sense of smell.

*^^*

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can I say----
We dont care if a hunting dog smells good, but we really don't want him to have a poor sense of smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.