Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've been learning (actually, imitating) British accent recently, and I wish some native speakers could tell me how do you think about my accent?

As a second language learner, I've learnt American accent for years, but I really do love the British accent, though I know accents vary widely across Britain, I still want to try to speak it.

Thanks a lot!!

Attachments

• The tale of the three brothers 1.wma
    218.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could you make a sample without reading a text? When you read a text, the intonation becomes artificial- just record something spontaneously.

DreamingAnn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you make a sample without reading a text? When you read a text, the intonation becomes artificial- just record something spontaneously.

This my reply:

Attachments

• reply.wma
    122.4 KB · Views: 18

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK, but play those both back one after the other and tell me which sounds more natural and better. the pronunciation in the second is much better IMO. Your pronunciation in the second is pretty good. I would look at some of your vowel sounds- with the word you early on in the recording, you extend the vowel, and you do this a couple of times in it. :up:

DreamingAnn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks!
I understand what you mean, of course it would be more natual, for that's the difference between Reading and Speaking. But, like I mentioned before, it has to start with imitation, that's to say, reading.

I listened the second one again, and find myself quite unsatisfied. (BTW, I'm aware of those unconscious extension, THX) Because I've always dreamed of speaking English like (particularly, sounded like) a native speaker, and I practised that almost in a paranoid way. I'm saying this, because pronunciation has become something that I care about most, I mean, my grammar is a mess, my writing is pretty bad too, but I still obsessed with pronunciation! Yet it's pretty hard, especially without a language environment. I'm entirely depending on what I've heard from movies or TV series. But, sometimes you just feel like you are stuck, can't move on at all. Maybe you can give me some advice on it, or --- suggest me to see a therapist ;-):roll:

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
DreamingAnn,

I'd like to say that I like your pronunciation very much... Your effort to speak English correctly is inspiring.

I've been taught English here in Brazil, advanced classes, and I must tell you, none that I know in the entire school has your determination to master English.

Congrats.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I mean, my grammar is a mess, my writing is pretty bad too, but I still obsessed with pronunciation!

I'd stop beating myself up if I were you- you're being overly negative. In fact, your grammar's good, and using phrases like I mean suggests a fairly natural command of English, though I would put am before the word still. :-D

DreamingAnn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
DreamingAnn,

I'd like to say that I like your pronunciation very much... Your effort to speak English correctly is inspiring.

I've been taught English here in Brazil, advanced classes, and I must tell you, none that I know in the entire school has your determination to master English.

Congrats.

Thank you sooo much for your encouragement!! I'll keep working hard! :-D

DreamingAnn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd stop beating myself up if I were you- you're being overly negative. In fact, your grammar's good, and using phrases like I mean suggests a fairly natural command of English, though I would put am before the word still. :-D

Ha-ha:-D, actually, I don't think I look at things negatively, it's only because you know, I have quite a high expectation of myself. Like, I wish I could express myself freely, but I always have to organize my thoughs for a while before I speak. And when I said my grammar is bad, I really mean it. I'll never know the differences between those subordinate clauses. The subjunctive mood or the non-finite verbs? You'd better kill me... But the most serious problem is ----- I can NEVER be sure whether my grammar is correct. Most of the time, I just follow my instinct. And this, resulted in my writing problem.

Oops... thanks for your correction, I'll keep in mind.;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.