Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Here's an extract from a dictionary

#1 ''ride a bus American English
Ann rides the bus to work.
! To talk about someone controlling a car or other vehicle, use drive not ride: Lizzy drove the van and we kids rode in the back.''

Here's an extract from another dictionary

#2 "3 [+ obj] chiefly US : to travel over or on (a road, railway, trail, etc.) in a car, on a train, on a bicycle, etc.
▪ He spends hours riding the back roads in his truck. ▪ riding the rails ▪ We rode the bike trails for hours.'

In the second extract there's a sentence "He spends hours riding the back roads in his truck." which contradicts information given in the first one "! To talk about someone controlling a car or other vehicle, use drive not ride." If a man rides the roads in his car he's most likely the driver and not a passanger. Could you give me advice on this use of the verb "ride"?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He's driving his truck. He's riding (on) the roads. The object of the verb is different.

To say someone was riding the roads is not a very common, everyday thing. It seems more of a poetic use to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Here's an extract from a dictionary

#1 ''ride a bus American English
Ann rides the bus to work.
! To talk about someone controlling a car or other vehicle, use drive not ride: Lizzy drove the van and we kids rode in the back.''
A motorcycle is also a vehicle. The correct word for this vehicle is "ride".
In AusE, "ride" is not common for "drive", but is used a lot for passengers, eg. "Can you give me a ride?"

Status
Not open for further replies.