Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
Can anyone please tell me if the below sentence makes sense? (what should go into the underlined part?) If there is any error, can you correct it please?

"I don’t believe this message board is (so? or as? or that much?) closed or insular as to think writing that type of comment would seem inappropriate."

I simply wrote what felt right to me without thinking too much about the grammar, but since I am not a native, I still feel I have to run it by you guys.

Thanks

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can anyone please tell me if the below sentence makes sense? (what should go into the underlined part?) If there is any error, can you correct it please?

"I don’t believe this message board is (so? or as? or that much?) closed or insular as to think writing that type of comment would seem inappropriate."

I simply wrote what felt right to me without thinking too much about the grammar, but since I am not a native, I still feel I have to run it by you guys.

Thanks

When you say "closed", do you mean "closed-minded", "blinkered", "intolerant" or something similar?

I don't believe this messageboard is so closed-minded as to think that that type of comment is inappropriate.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
Thanks for your answer.

What happens if I put as instead of so? Would it make absolutely no sense or still be acceptable?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for your answer.

What happens if I put "as" instead of "so"? Would it make absolutely no sense or still be acceptable?
I would probably use "as".

Monthly lesson for July:
Example sentences and words should be put in quotes.
[Semi-automated message]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about I can't believe...?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your answer.

What happens if I put as instead of so? Would it make absolutely no sense or still be acceptable?

If you use "as" we would expect it to be followed by a comparison:

I don't believe this messageboard is as intolerant as some other messageboards I belong to.

The use of "so" shows that you mean you find it difficult to believe that the board is closed-minded to such an extent that a particular comment is deemed inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.