Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
When I watched a film, I saw a question "What did your last slave die of? " and a phrasal verb " for goodness' sake". I was confused of course.
So can you help me explain them?
Thanks a lot.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"What did your last slave die of?" is a sarcastic comment usually made when someone asks you to do something for them, especially something that they could have done easily themselves.

For example:

Two people are sitting on a sofa (couch) near a table with a bottle of wine and two glasses. One person says "Can you pour another glass of wine for me?" It would have been very easy for that person to pour the wine themselves so the second person says "What did your last slave die of?" (ie "You are treating me like a slave so I assume that your last slave is dead and I am the replacement.")

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"What did your last slave die of?" is a sarcastic comment usually made when someone asks you to do something for them, especially something that they could have done easily themselves.

For example:

Two people are sitting on a sofa (couch) near a table with a bottle of wine and two glasses. One person says "Can you pour another glass of wine for me?" It would have been very easy for that person to pour the wine themselves so the second person says "What did your last slave die of?" (ie "You are treating me like a slave so I assume that your last slave is dead and I am the replacement.")
Incredible! I had never before heard this expression. Is it frequently heard in BrE?:)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was equally lost!

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I was equally lost!

Same here.
The closest thing I can think of is "Who died and made you King?" more for bossy people rather than lazy ones though.

Not a teacher.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe because the idea of slavery, still embarrassingly recent in our history, is so sensitive is why we don't know this one here. I'd suggest not using it in the US. An acceptable and sarcastic replacement could be "oh are the bones in both legs broken?" or something along those lines.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe because the idea of slavery, still embarrassingly recent in our history, is so sensitive is why we don't know this one here. I'd suggest not using it in the US. An acceptable and sarcastic replacement could be "oh are the bones in both legs broken?" or something along those lines.

That may well be the case. Having said that, Britain wasn't exactly a hotbed of slavery so I've always wondered why it's not just "What did your last servant die of?"

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
That may well be the case. Having said that, Britain wasn't exactly a hotbed of slavery so I've always wondered why it's not just "What did your last servant die of?"
I've heard it with "servant" very often.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've heard it often too, but I admit it's usually British relatives who use it. Not about me, of course. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.