• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Ex/Former which one to use?

Dear Teachers,
    I am often confused using former/ex in any statement.
    He is ex-vice chancellor (Vice chancellors have a finite term of 4 years in India)
    He is a former college teacher (College teacher here means a person who has a regular appointment with certain date of superannuation)
    He is a former Prime minister and not ex-prime minister (Prime minister's term is also limited to 5 year, ideally, in India)
    He is an ex-army officer (He might be retired, after serving in army)

Please clear my doubt and oblige.

Thank you
    Shad

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Ex/Former which one to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Dear Teachers,
    I am often confused using former/ex in any statement.
    He is ex-vice chancellor (Vice chancellors have a finite term of 4 years in India)
    He is a former college teacher (College teacher here means a person who has a regular appointment with certain date of superannuation)
    He is a former Prime minister and not ex-prime minister (Prime minister's term is also limited to 5 year, ideally, in India)
    He is an ex-army officer (He might be retired, after serving in army)

Please clear my doubt and oblige.

Thank you
    Shad
    You can use either.
    I'm not sure how "He is a former Prime minister and not an ex-prime minister" works. It seems to me that he's either both or neither.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You can use either.
    I'm not sure how "He is a former Prime minister and not an ex-prime minister" works. It seems to me that he's either both or neither.
    I agree, though I feel a slight difference. What follows is personal opinion only.

I feel that former is more formal, and is also less restricted; ex- is less formal, and is also, in the case of office ( rather than job), more likely to be used if there is only one successor in that office. Thus I think can speak of former/ex-President George W Bush, but only of former President Clinton.

He is ex-vice chancellor (Vice chancellors have a finite term of 4 years in India). Either former or ex- for four years after the end of his term of office, then only former.
    He is a former college teacher. Both possible
    He is a former Prime minister and not ex-prime minister. (Prime minister's term is also limited to 5 year, ideally, in India). Both possible for five years, then only former.
    He is an ex-army officer (He might be retired, after serving in army). Both possible.

Although there have been several heads of state of Greece since he left the throne, Constantine has had no successor as King of the Hellenes, and so is referred to as both former and ex- King.

Not relevant to this topic, but Constantine styles himself 'King Constantine' as he considers that he never abdicated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thank you