Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    totally radared back there

    A guy walks up to the dish of cookies and says that he could totally not eat it. He takes one cookie, eats it and walkes back. While walking back, probably feels like having more cookies, he goes like "I'm totally radared back there." What does it exactly mean?
    Last edited by ostap77; 15-Jul-2011 at 19:02.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #2

    Re: totally radared back there

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    A guy walks up to the dish of cookies and says that he could totally not eat it. He takes one cookie, eats it and walkes. While walking back, probably feels like having more cookies, he goes like "I'm totally radared back there." What does it exactly mean?
    My sympathy, and on behalf of English teachers everywhere my apologies to persons, I suspect like you, trying to understand current jargon and expressions such as that which you posted. Frankly, I have never seen the term "radared" and I'm sure that few, if any, English dictionaries even list the term. I can only guess that, in the context you presented, it means that he appears on the cookie's radar (I can't believe I'm trying to define this ) and is being drawn closer and closer to get another cookie.

    I should also mention the current use/misuse of the term "totally" which has apparently replaced (most often unnecessarily) a variety of perfectly good terms such as completely/definitely/very- and the list goes on.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: totally radared back there

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    My sympathy, and on behalf of English teachers everywhere my apologies to persons, I suspect like you, trying to understand current jargon and expressions such as that which you posted. Frankly, I have never seen the term "radared" and I'm sure that few, if any, English dictionaries even list the term. I can only guess that, in the context you presented, it means that he appears on the cookie's radar (I can't believe I'm trying to define this ) and is being drawn closer and closer to get another cookie.

    I should also mention the current use/misuse of the term "totally" which has apparently replaced (most often unnecessarily) a variety of perfectly good terms such as completely/definitely/very- and the list goes on.
    Would it make sense to say "I'm radared to the dinner table" since there are a lot of dishes served up?

    I'm completly lost trying to figure out the meaning of "You are totally radared motherfucker." Any ideas?
    Last edited by ostap77; 15-Jul-2011 at 19:24.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #4

    Re: totally radared back there

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Would it make sense to say "I'm radared to the dinner table" since there are a lot of dishes served up?

    I'm completly lost trying to figure out the meaning of "You are totally radared motherfucker." Any ideas?
    I think I'll quit while I'm ahead------- or behind!

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #5

    Re: totally radared back there

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Would it make sense to say "I'm radared to the dinner table" since there are a lot of dishes served up?

    I'm completly lost trying to figure out the meaning of "You are totally radared motherfucker." Any ideas?
    This is complete nonsense and should be understood as such. In other words, this is rubbish and not worth trying to understand.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #6

    Re: totally radared back there

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    This is complete nonsense and should be understood as such. In other words, this is rubbish and not worth trying to understand.
    Here's to Bhaisahab

    You're getting an "F-" for being patient and tolerant. On your side of the pond folks say a lot of things that are far from standard English and make an average non-native speaker going nuts. When I hear things I need to understand them not just "Oh. It's non-standard. I'll pay it no mind." I do believe that on this forum we talk about all the aspects of the English language and everyone is welcome to come up with any question one might have.

    I didn't come up with it. Hop on a transatlantic flight and talk to Louis C.K. He is a famous American comediant and tell him how outrageous this is!
    Last edited by ostap77; 15-Jul-2011 at 22:11.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: totally radared back there

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Here's to Bhaisahab

    You're getting an "F-" for being patient and tolerant!
    It's complete nonsense to me, too; it seems that it is to billmcd, an American. Do we get an F- in patience and tolerance as well?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #8

    Re: totally radared back there

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's complete nonsense to me, too; it seems that it is to billmcd, an American. Do we get an F- in patience and tolerance as well?
    One's getting expeled from school.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #9

    Re: totally radared back there

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's complete nonsense to me, too; it seems that it is to billmcd, an American. Do we get an F- in patience and tolerance as well?
    No it's about Bhaisahab. What I wanted was a word of advice. Not just "outrageous"!

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,216
    #10

    Re: totally radared back there

    Two things.

    We are volunteers. We answer questions to the best of our ability. To chastise people who do not answer as you wish is insulting and disrespectful of the time our volunteers put in here, doing their best. Your phrase is utterly incomprehensible to any of us. Try Urban Dictionary.

    I would appreciate if you did NOT spell out words as deeply offensive as the M-F word you quoted. Please make use of asterisks or -- as needed to not subject us to filth.

    Thank you.

    Okay, three things. I've never heard of that comedian, and if that's a sample of his humor, I'm glad I haven't.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. almost totally
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2011, 17:40
  2. [Grammar] Totally lost - Present perfect
    By engpoem in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2008, 05:51
  3. [Grammar] Totally lost - Past simple
    By engpoem in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Oct-2008, 06:41
  4. in total/totally
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2008, 14:43
  5. Totally
    By namsteven in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jun-2007, 13:26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •