Results 1 to 3 of 3

    • Join Date: Jun 2003
    • Posts: 495

    window-side employee

    We have a term 'MADOGIWAZOKU', literally 'window-side
    people'. Those are the people who are not needed
    in the company, but for some reason or another the
    company has to keep them. They are given no meaningful
    work and are just sitting near the window. The company
    might be wanting them to vluntarily retire. The company
    might have to keep them because they have contributed
    to the company for a long time. Anyway it's not an
    enjoyable position.
    I wonder if there is any appropriate English term
    for this. 'Pencil pusher' or 'pen pusher' are
    somewhat different I think.
    Thank you.

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970

    Re: window-side employee

    I know the term, but a similar one doesn't exist in North America. It's tied to culture.

    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 1,369

    Re: window-side employee

    Lol, in North America when you're not needed anymore you're fired. Cultural thing


Similar Threads

  1. An English Lesson for Beginners
    By Anonymous in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-Jul-2008, 08:10
  2. sunny side up or down
    By wml in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2006, 20:28
  3. have on your side
    By Eway in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2005, 15:18
  4. Side
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2004, 12:15
  5. "a side of" equals "a side to"?
    By Joe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Feb-2004, 17:42


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts