Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
He doesn't want to pay for the whole year because he is going to graduate soon.The university doesn't sell permits in semester increments.

The word ''increment '' means an increase in amount of money. Still I can't undrestand the meaning of the sentence.

Thank you for your reply.

Michael84

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Not a teacher

You are right: The word increment/decrement is usually used in computer science and means to increase/decrease a certain amount by one. However, if you go to a store to buy something expensive you might ask the dealer "Can I pay this in increments?". That means you are asking for an option to pay in parts; for example you could pay him 1/12 of the product's cost every month for one year.

Since the person in your example doesn't need to study for one more full year he is asking if the University offers a reduction of the fee for a single semester.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. In this case he is looking to buy some sort of "permit." Perhaps for parking on campus. We can't know from this excerpt.

The point is that the university only sells a permit good for the entire academic year. It doesn't sell them just for one semester.

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

..., if you go to a store to buy something expensive you might ask the dealer "Can I pay this in increments?". That means you are asking for an option to pay in parts; for example you could pay him 1/12 of the product's cost every month for one year..

You are describing installments. Buying an entire product or service and paying in multiple equal payments. The original poster is describing buying only a fraction of a product or service at a price corresponding to the fraction purchased.

"The university doesn't sell permits in semester increments" more or less means "The university doesn't sell permits one semester at at time."

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You are describing installments. Buying an entire product or service and paying in multiple equal payments. The original poster is describing buying only a fraction of a product or service at a price corresponding to the fraction purchased.
I agree.

"The university doesn't sell permits in semester increments" more or less means "The university doesn't sell permits one semester at at time."
I disagree. I think the word "increment" is just wrongly used.

ps. The title of this thread should read."What does[STRIKE] mean[/STRIKE]" increments" mean?

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
W: Well, I'd park at the parking meters, but I won't have time to fill the meter. I don't want my car to get towed or ticketed. I really need a place to park.

M: Unfortunately, the university doesn't sell permits in semester increments.I'm not exactly sure why we don't, but I don't think that the policy will change anytime soon.

W: That's what I thought.

1) I don't think the word "increments" is a printing mistake, because I use a textbook.
2) I agree with the idea that the first response was a definition of instalment.

3) Thank you fivejedjon for correcting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.