Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

A fine Administrator who lets our national property go to seed! (S. Heym, “The Eyes of Reason”)

go to seed = be neglectful of

“I remember hearing that old Alfred had married a girl whose people came over with the Conqueror.” Lydia smiled. She said: “I believe they did. But they’ve rather run to seed since those days.” (A. Christie, “Hercule Poirot’s Christmas”)

run to seed = be on the decline

V.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, though I would say that there's also the idea that they have neglected things or allowed the decline to take place.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

I've never heard "run to seed", always "go to seed", used to mean "deteriorate/decline".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A fine Administrator who lets our national property go to seed! (S. Heym, “The Eyes of Reason”)

go to seed = be neglectful of ......No

It is the property that is going to seed, not the Administrator. So, it means 'become less attractive, decline, become run-down'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: not a teacher

I've never heard "run to seed", always "go to seed", used to mean "deteriorate/decline".
BNC has 11 examples of 'go to seed', 4 of 'run to seed', confirming my personal belief that both are possible in BrE, but that 'go' is more common.

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
I believe this comes from the world of gardening. If plants are ignored and not tended, they literally 'go to seed'. The garden then loses that maintained look and appears to be neglected.

Status
Not open for further replies.