Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"You can't take these two pills at a time. Since the new drug you've been prescribed is going to undercut the effect of the drug you've been taking already, you're supposed to take them on a two-hour gap/period??"(there should be two hours between the intake of the drugs)?

Would this sentence be grammatically correct? What about the use of the verb "undercut"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"You can't take these two drugs at a time. Since the new drug you've been prescribed is going to undercut the effetc of the one you've been taking already, you're supposed to take them on a two-hour gap"(there should be two hours between the intake of the drugs)?

Would this sentence be grammatically correct? What about the use of the verb "undercut"?

It depends on what the actual effect will be. If it stops the first drug working, then I would say "inhibit". If it makes the effect less, I would say "lessen" or possibly "minimise" if it left it at a very low level.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It depends on what the actual effect will be. If it stops the first drug working, then I would say "inhibit". If it makes the effect less, I would say "lessen" or possibly "minimise" if it left it at a very low level.

"undercut" would be the wrong verb for making the effect less? Is it just the wrong context to us it in? Is it "on a two-hour gap or period"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"You can't take these two pills at a time. Since the new drug you've been prescribed is going to undercut the effect of the drug you've been taking already, you're supposed to take them on a two-hour gap/period??"(there should be two hours between the intake of the drugs)?

Do not take these two pills at the same time. The new drug you've been prescribed will inhibit/lessen/minimise the effects of the drug you're already taking. You should take the two pills two hours apart / You should leave two hours between taking the two different pills.

"Undercut" is usually used in connection with money, when one company or individual charges a lower price than another in order to gain business.

Status
Not open for further replies.