• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Do us in

Please read this if you wouldn't mind... I have some questions.

Mickey Mantle played his way into the pantheon of baseball gods, and drank his way to the brink of death. So in today's cynical debate over health-care priorities, Mick's record drinking would drop him to the bottom of the list for a life-saving transplant. Chilling but true. He's over 60 and was an alcoholic for most of his life, a choice that helped make him as sick as he is today. Then there's his age and medical condition, which would put his chances at about 60 percent for surviving a liver transplant for five years or more.

The cynics would say Mick is a poor risk indeed. They are wrong.

Such a heartless and politicized point of view has gained strength ever since 1984, when former Colorado governor Richard Lamm made the famous declaration that the terminally ill have a "duty to die and get out of the way. Let the oters in society, our children, build a reasonable life," he said. What kind of a reasonable life is it when politicians decide whether it is a good risk to save a human life?

But Lamm had more to say on modern technology, exactly the kind that could save Mickey Mantle. "How many hearts should we give to a smoker....how many liver transplants can we afford to give to an alcoholic," he asked, implying that one was too many.

In Oregon, Lamm's legacy lives on in something called the Oregon Health Plan, a "medical rationing" welfare program started in February 1994. The plan prioritizes 565 diseases and their treatments based on how effective the treatments are and how much they cost. Trasplants for liver cancer patients are not funded.

Can we trust the politicians to do the right thing for the sickest and poorest among us? In Oregon, the health professionals decide what diseases and treatments go on the list and then a computer determines treatment priorities based on death rates and costs.

But the politicians decide how much money is spent.

No matter what the proponents say, the Oregon system rations people out of care simply by denying them medical services because some politician doesn't like the survival odds or costs.

Fortunately, Mick won't have to worry about getting a chance at a liver transplant. Get well, Mick, before the most cynical of the health-care reformers do us all in.

1. implying that one was too many - what is 'one' referring to?

2. the proponents - proponents of... this unfair health care in Oregon?

3. Rations people out of care - I do know what it means, it's just that I need your explanation. I'm trying to translate this thing eh? and it just doesn't make much sense when translated, and I think with more explanation I can better translate it.

4. Fortunately, Mick won't have to worry about getting a chance at a liver transplant - does this mean Mick will never get a chance at a liver transplant? I wasn't too sure what to make out of this.

5. the most cynical of the health-care reformers: who is this referring to? reformers? are they the ones that established the current health-care system in Oregon, or ones that oppose it and want to change it?

6. do us all in = put an end to us? finish us? I saw this phrase in a video game a while back. The phrase was "You did her in?", and that 'her' in the video game got killed by the one who's being talked to. If you can tell me the exact meaning I would greatly appreciate it.

Tired -_-; can't focus, can't type, and falling asleep...

HKB

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do us in

1- people who damage their own bodies shouldn't get any transplants
    2- people putting the idea (health rationing) forwards
    3- excludes some through the rationing process
    4- Mick doesn't need to worry because he'll get his liver- the system hadn't changed yet
    5- the worst of the people proposing such things- like the polician telling people to hurry up and die
    6- kill us

Sweet dreams.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

I was just too tired to take a good look at the whole article last night.

I've just read it thoroughly and I have this one question.

In Oregon, Lamm's legacy lives on in something called the Oregon Health Plan, a "medical rationing" welfare program started in February 1994.
    It says the health plan started in Feb. 1994. You said the system hasn't changed yet. Then I guess 'the program started' and 'the program put into effect' are two different things?

Edit: Where are my manners? I forgot the words of gratitude. Thanks always for helping, Tdol.
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 22-Sep-2005 at 13:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't spotted that, but as the guy seems to have a chance, then maybe he lives elsewhere or something- the ending suggest to me that he'll get a liver.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

...or maybe he already got his liver so he doesn't have to worry about the chance of getting it?