Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

In October 2009, a three-metre high tsunami struck the Lesser Sunda Islands and killed nearly 400 people. Just a few minutes after they noticed an earthquake which actually caused the tsunami, the scientists warned the local services. Unfortunately, it was not of some help, as the majority of the villages that were hit doesn't have telephone lines or any other ways to receive a warning. Even the low-tech systems which would observe indications such as water movements would surely be a life-saving help to all local people.

Please correct the text if needed.

Thanks,
Joe

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

In October 2009, a three-metre high tsunami struck the Lesser Sunda Islands and killed nearly 400 people. Just a few minutes after they noticed an earthquake which actually caused the tsunami, [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] scientists warned [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] local services. Unfortunately, it was not of some (OR much) help, as the majority of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] villages that were hit [STRIKE]doesn't[/STRIKE] didn't have telephone lines or any other ways to receive a warning. Even [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] low-tech systems which would have observed indications such as water movements would surely [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] have been a life-saving help to all local people.

Please correct the text if needed.

Thanks,
Joe

Suggestions. Nice work.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I'd like to ask about one correction you made:

"as the majority of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] villages"

Is the article downright wrong there or is it your personal choice? I ask because I believe I've seen or heard "the majority of the xx" many times, but maybe I'm wrong.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks billmcd.

One question - In the sentence where telephone lines are mentioned, I was a bit confused. They clearly didn't have telephone lines when the tsunami came, but they still don't have them. That's why I used the Present Simple Tense.
In the last sentence, I wanted to point out what the present state is like, and how it can be in the future.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Also, why do we omit "the" before "scientists"? Because we don't care who the scientists individually are - the fact that they are scientists is enough for us? Would we use "the" when we are interested in who those scientists are (in the text, we are focused on the tsunami)?

Can we put this sort of omission of "the" in a general cathegory? Are they all "common nouns"?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd like to ask about one correction you made:

"as the majority of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] villages"

Is the article downright wrong there or is it your personal choice? I ask because I believe I've seen or heard "the majority of the xx" many times, but maybe I'm wrong.

I wouldn't classify it as "downright" wrong, but in this case, unless the villages were previously and specifically identified or referenced, "the" really isn't necessary.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, why do we omit "the" before "scientists"? Because we don't care who the scientists individually are - the fact that they are scientists is enough for us? Would we use "the" when we are interested in who those scientists are (in the text, we are focused on the tsunami)? Yes, to the latter two questions.

Can we put this sort of omission of "the" in a general category? Are they all "common nouns"?
Yes and yes.

See above.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks again. Here is another text, a very interesting one IMO.

God exists

A man went to a barbershop to take a haircut, and to cut his beard, as usual.
He started talking to the barber. They talked about everything. Suddenly, they mentioned God. The barber said: "Man, I don't believe in God's existence.""Why did you say that?" - the man asked him.
"That's so simply - all you need to do is to go out on the street and realize that God does not exist. If there is God, why there're so many ill people? Why there are waifs all around? If God exists, suffering and pain do not. I can't imagine God allowing these things." Thinking, the man became silent for a while because he didn't want to answer with no arguments.

The barber did his job, and the man went out. Not long after exiting the barbershop, he spoted a man walking in the street with long hair and untidy beard. Actually, all his appearance was untidy. Then, the man entered the barbershop again and told the barber: "There are not barbers - they don't exist." "How do you think?" - the barber asked. "No", the man shouted, "they don't exist. Because if they exist, there aren't untidy people, as the one walking beside your barbershop.""No, barbers do exist, but people don't want to come to them.""Yes, true." - the man confirmed. ""In the same way, God exists, but people don't want to come to him!"

Please correct any mistakes (including possible misspellings) and tell me how do you like the text, the writting style etc.

P.S. Ateists should disregard the point of the text. :-D

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

God exists

A man went to a barbershop to take a haircut, and to cut his beard, as usual.
He started talking to the barber. They talked about everything. Suddenly, they mentioned God. The barber said: "Man, I don't believe in God's existence.""Why did you say that?" - the man asked him.
"That's so simply - all you need to do is to go out on the street and realize that God does not exist. If there is a God, why are there [STRIKE]re[/STRIKE] so many ill people? Why are there are waifs all around? If God exists, suffering and pain [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] should not. I can't imagine God allowing these things." Thinking, the man became silent for a while because he didn't want to answer without good [STRIKE]no[/STRIKE] arguments.

The barber did his job, and the man went out. Not long after exiting the barbershop, he spotted a man walking in the street with long hair and untidy beard. Actually, [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] his whole appearance was untidy. Then, the man entered the barbershop again and told the barber: "There are no [STRIKE]t[/STRIKE] barbers - they don't exist." "How do you [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] figure that?" - the barber asked. "No", the man shouted, "they don't exist. Because if they did exist, there [STRIKE]aren't[/STRIKE] wouldn't be any untidy people, such as the one walking beside your barbershop." "No, barbers do exist, but people don't want to come to them." "Yes, true." - the man confirmed. ""In the same way, God exists, but people don't want to come to him!"

Please correct any mistakes (including possible misspellings) and tell me how do you like the text, the writting style etc.

P.S. Atheists should disregard the point of the text. :-D
There's a point?
I've disregardered the appalling logic as requested. ;-)

I don't much like the way you've written the dialogue. Don't write "". Either leave a space or, preferably, put a new sentence on a new line.

PS: You'd be better starting a new thread for a new text.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've disregardered the appalling logic as requested. ;-)

I don't much like the way you've written the dialogue. Don't write "". Either leave a space or, preferably, put a new sentence on a new line.

PS: You'd be better starting a new thread for a new text.

Thanks a lot.

The point of the text is absolutely unimportant. Even the original text is not my creation.

In fact, the text itself is very cheap. The focus is on grammar.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks billmcd.

One question - In the sentence where telephone lines are mentioned, I was a bit confused. They clearly didn't have telephone lines when the tsunami came, but they still don't have them. That's why I used the Present Simple Tense.
In the last sentence, I wanted to point out what the present state is like, and how it can be in the future.

In the context you presented either simple present or past would be OK and if you meant to indicate that the situation still exists simple present would be OK, BUT if so, you should have said "the majority of villages.......don't have....". "Majority" is a term that can be treated as singular or plural depending on context. In your example, because it refers to a plural noun and the noun is specifically referenced, i.e. "villages" a plural form would work better.

In your last sentence either way is OK depending, as you say, what you want to express. I assumed you wanted to refer to the past situation.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

God exists

A man went to a barbershop to [STRIKE]take[/STRIKE] get (AmE) a haircut, and to cut his beard, as usual.
"That's so [STRIKE]simply[/STRIKE]simple - all you need to do is to go out on the street and realize that God does not exist. If there is God, why [STRIKE]there're[/STRIKE] (no contraction with 'there are') are there so many ill people? Why there are waifs all around? If God exists, suffering and pain do not. I can't imagine God allowing these things." Thinking, the man became silent for a while because he didn't want to answer with no arguments.

The barber did his job, and the man went out (OR 'left'). Not long after exiting the barbershop, he spotted a man walking in the street with long hair and untidy beard. Actually, all his appearance was untidy. Then, the man entered the barbershop again and told the barber: "There are not barbers - they don't exist." "How (OR 'why') do you think so?" - the barber asked. "No", the man shouted, "they don't exist. Because if they exist, there aren't untidy people, as (OR 'like) the one walking beside (OR 'outside') your barbershop.""No, barbers do exist, but people don't want to come to [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] barbers.""Yes, true." - the man confirmed. ""In the same way, God exists, but people don't want to come to him!"

P.S. Atheists should disregard the point of the text. :-D

Nice story. See my suggestions.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Billmcd, thank you very much.