• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

ass - person

When an American person calls another person an ass, do they think they're calling that person a donkey or a bottom? Of course, what they mean is just to call that person names, but what would be the speaker's intuition regarding the origin of this term?

What about a young British person? I think an older person would say they're using the "donkey" meaning. Am I right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: ass - person

Honestly, I picture neither a posterior nor a donkey. It just means "You're being a jerk."

I don't think I"m alone in this. If you say "That's bulls**t!" I don't think of a large male bovine pooping, I think "You don't believe it" or "That's nonsense!"
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    When an American person calls another person an ass, do they think they're calling that person a donkey or a bottom? Of course, what they mean is just to call that person names, but what would be the speaker's intuition regarding the origin of this term?

What about a young British person? I think an older person would say they're using the "donkey" meaning. Am I right?
    Very few people of any age use the word "ass" in BrE nowadays.

It's very old-fashioned and, even when in fashion, tended to be used only by the upper/middle classes. It's used a lot by characters in books by P.G. Wodehouse and most assuredly it's connotations would have been only with a donkey.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Honestly, I picture neither a posterior nor a donkey. It just means "You're being a jerk."

I don't think I"m alone in this. If you say "That's bulls**t!" I don't think of a large male bovine pooping, I think "You don't believe it" or "That's nonsense!"
    My reaction as well.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

*** NOT A TEACHER ***

@birdeen's call

Thank you for your question. I have wondered about this many times.

As for BrE usage, I remember fivejedjon telling me that he prefers the term "smart-arse" to (the AmE) "smart ass", and from this I infer (maybe falsely ) that "you're such an arse" is the phrase that I would expect from a BrE speaker. (Not that I actually expect anyone telling me such a thing, though I have already been called meaner names than that, LL.)

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D
    But substituting "ass" for "asshole" makes it clear what the person is referring to, doesn't it?

Without wishing to hijack the thread, I would just like to ask whether "bum" (E.g., "He's such a bum.") means a lazy person (in this context), or the body part we sit on? And if we add the adjective, "lazy" to the previous exclamation ("He's such a lazy bum!"), does it mean that he's a lazy ass/butt/buttock, or is it still just a phrase meaning that the person in question is (annoyingly) lazy?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by ~Mav~ View Post
    *** NOT A TEACHER ***

@birdeen's call

Thank you for your question. I have wondered about this many times.

As for BrE usage, I remember fivejedjon telling me that he prefers the term "smart-arse" to (the AmE) "smart ass", and from this I infer (maybe falsely ) that "you're such an arse" is the phrase that I would expect from a BrE speaker. (Not that I actually expect anyone telling me such a thing, though I have already been called meaner names than that, LL.)
    I don't remember seeing or hearing "arse" used as a derogatory term for a person as in

You're such an arse.

But the AHD has "3. a stupid person; fool". Hopefully, our British friends will explain.

Without wishing to hijack the thread, I would just like to ask whether "bum" (E.g., "He's such a bum.") means a lazy person (in this context), or the body part we sit on? And if we add the adjective, "lazy" to the previous exclamation ("He's such a lazy bum!"), does it mean that he's a lazy ass/butt/buttock, or is it still just a phrase meaning that the person in question is (annoyingly) lazy?
    These meanings are not related etymologically according to the AHD.

PS: I misunderstood what you'd written, which is why my answer has nothing to do with the question. Sorry.
    Last edited by birdeen's call; 19-Jul-2011 at 18:06. Reason: PS

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Bum as in "you're a lazy bum" has nothing to do with posteriors.

We might say "You're being a horse's a** about it" -- I really NEVER associate "you're being an ass" with a human posterior.

I'm done with this thread, by the way. Others can take over if there are more questions.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I would think of the donkey, with the same meaning as a jerk, or stubborn jerk, or impolite jerk.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post

Thank goodness for asterisks, Barb.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

To my mind, when someone uses a** in AmE (excuse my asterisks, but I generally never curse, even in real life. I'm such a prude.... ) they are, no matter how indirectly, still refering to the human posterior. Yes, calling someone an a** means that they're acting stupidly or inappropriately, but it all harks back to the backside. Think about it.....when you tell someone to "kiss my a**" you are literally inviting them to humiliate themselves by smooching your rump. The human butt has become a synonym for the worst of the worst, the lowest of the low, the ultimate insult. If you moon someone, you are showing contempt or disrespect by visually exposing your buttocks. Therefore, whether you call someone an a**hole, a**hat, a**clown, or any number of similar epithets, it is insulting because you are likening them to a human posterior, that area of the body from which we excrete.....well, you know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast