Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Mansu is a visitor and Ryan is the host's son, but Ryan is showing off too much to Mansu about his city and Mansu is trying to stay polite which he found hard. So their mothers are advising them to be themselves. The answer to this quesiton is 2), but do you use the expression "The language of truth is simple" a lot? And does this expression makes sense to explain "Be yourself"?

Q) What is the similar expression for the underlined "Be yourself"?
1) A man's real character comes out best in his asides.
2)The language of truth is simple.
3)..4)..5)

After dinner, Ryan's parents spoke to Ryan privately. "Mansu is very polite," said Mr. Davis. "And so boring," said Ryan.
"I think he's just afraid of saying the wrong thing," said his mother. "You could help him relax a little. Don't try to show off. Just be yourself," added Mr. Davis. Mansu was phoning his mom in the guest room. He told her how difficult it was to stay politely when Ryan was boastful. "You're the guest, but don't try to be perfect," she said. "Be nice, but be yourself"

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This post seems so long, so they seem to be burnded about answering. Can you just compare if these two expressions have similiar meanings?

The language of truth is simple.vs Just be yourself,"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This post seems so long, so they seem to be burnded about answering. Can you just compare if these two expressions have similiar meanings?

I would not connect the two.

"Just be yourself" means "Don't pretend to be something you are not" or "Behave in a way that is natural".

"The language of truth is simple" I think means that it is much easier to speak the truth all the time. I don't agree with that statement although it would be lovely if nobody lied. However, some lies have a good purpose and telling the truth can really get you into trouble sometimes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

They mean nothing like the same thing in isolation, but given a context, and a choice of 5 alternatives, it is reasonable to accept that this might be the correct answer to a question of "Which is the most similar phrase in meaning?"

In the context given, "being yourself" and "telling the truth" (rather than boasting) can be seen to be related concepts. I would say this isn't a good question, but it's understandable.
"The language of truth is simple" is not an idiom that I'm aware of.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
They mean nothing like the same thing in isolation, but given a context, and a choice of 5 alternatives, it is reasonable to accept that this might be the correct answer to a question of "Which is the most similar phrase in meaning?"

In the context given, "being yourself" and "telling the truth" (rather than boasting) can be seen to be related concepts. I would say this isn't a good question, but it's understandable.
"The language of truth is simple" is not an idiom that I'm aware of.

"The language of truth is simple" seems like a saying according to a dictionary definition, so haven't you heard of it a lot? So the meaning is "just simply tell the truth, not disguising yourself. Don't be a hypocrite, just live with your true being which is the simplest way of living" which is my interpretation. I wonder if you accept this as its nuance, and of course as you said, it may be the closest answer.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"The language of truth is simple" seems like a saying according to a dictionary definition,
Dictionaries don't define sentences. A sentence doesn't have a definition. Do you mean a real dictionary has explained or listed this sentence as an example?

so haven't you heard of it a lot?
I've never heard of it.

So the meaning is "just simply tell the truth, not disguising yourself. Don't be a hypocrite, just live with your true being which is the simplest way of living" which is my interpretation. I wonder if you accept this as its nuance, and of course as you said, it may be the closest answer.
No, the meaning of this sentence is not "Be yourself". It is just closer to that than it is to the other choice you've given (and I presume the other three you haven't given). They can't mean the same thing because one is a statement of what is, and the other is a piece of advice about what you should do.
The sentence means that it is simpler to find the right words if you are telling the truth. If you are lying, you have to think harder, to say things that are not internally or externally contradictory.
The sentences mean completely different things, but if asked to explain how the connotations may point to a meaning which is less different than that of four other sentences, it's possible to do that. Red and yellow are two completely different colours; but they closer to each than either is to blue. To say that red is closest to yellow (given yellow and blue as the choices) does not mean that "red' means "yellow".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.