Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. moqaddas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 48
    #1

    me or for me

    ''She bought me a nice dress'' OR ''She bought for me a nice dress'
    1.'What will be appropriate to say?
    ''She buys me new clothes''
    2.Is it right to say clothes in place of ''dress''?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 50
    #2

    Re: me or for me

    Quote Originally Posted by moqaddas View Post
    ''She bought me a nice dress'' OR ''She bought for me a nice dress'
    1.'What will be appropriate to say?
    ''She buys me new clothes''
    2.Is it right to say clothes in place of ''dress''?
    You should say 'She bought me a nice dress'.

    You could also say, 'She bought a nice dress for me'.

    You can use clothes instead of dress but clothes is uncountable.

    Your sentence 'She buys me new clothes' is grammatically correct but it doesn't seem quite complete to me. I would prefer something like: 'She buys me new clothes when I need them' or 'She buys me new clothes all the time' but I think yours is acceptable.

    You can also say 'She bought me some nice clothes'

    I hope those suggestions help.

  2. Paulys's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Lithuania

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 113
    #3

    Post Re: me or for me

    By the way,
    You should say "She has bought me some nice clothes" because we DO NOT know definite time. I just want to suggest you use the "Present Perfect" tense.
    On the other hand either are correct.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: me or for me

    Quote Originally Posted by minnieuk View Post
    You can use clothes instead of dress but clothes is uncountable.
    No, "clothes" is plural.

    My clothes are in the trunk.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: me or for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulys View Post
    You should say "She has bought me some nice clothes" because we DO NOT know definite time. I just want to suggest you use the "Present Perfect" tense.
    On the other hand either are correct.
    If either is correct, then it is pointless to say, "You should say 'She has bought me some nice clothes'". Both are possible utterances. Which one we use depends on the context.

  5. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #6

    Re: me or for me

    Is it 'for me' or 'to me'?

    She bought a nice dress to me! (Does it suggest that I am giving an opinion about the dress?)
    She bought a nice dress for me! (Did I get a new dress?)

    Thanks

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,822
    #7

    Re: me or for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
    Is it 'for me' or 'to me'?

    She bought a nice dress to me! (Does it suggest that I am giving an opinion about the dress?)

    We would not use this. If you want to give an opinion then it would be "She bought a dress which I thought was nice".


    She bought a nice dress for me! (Did I get a new dress?)

    This would be the correct sentence if she bought the dress and gave it to you.


    Thanks
    See above.

  7. Paulys's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Lithuania

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 113
    #8

    Re: me or for me

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    If either is correct, then it is pointless to say, "You should say 'She has bought me some nice clothes'". Both are possible utterances. Which one we use depends on the context.
    Why to say "She has bought me some nice clothes" is pointless?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Aaland
      • Current Location:
      • Aaland

    • Join Date: Jul 2011
    • Posts: 2
    #9

    Re: me or for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulys View Post
    Why to say "She has bought me some nice clothes" is pointless?
    Because the issue at hand is not tenses or aspects but (prepositional) objects.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •