Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. moqaddas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 48
    #1

    have or do have

    Have you a pen?
    Or
    Do you have a pen?
    What will be appropriate to say?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 50
    #2

    Re: have or do have

    I would say 'Do you have a pen?' but I think 'Have you a pen?' is acceptable as well.

  2. Paulys's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Lithuania

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 113
    #3

    Re: have or do have

    Quote Originally Posted by moqaddas View Post
    Have you a pen?
    Or
    Do you have a pen?
    What will be appropriate to say?
    The both sentence is correct.
    Besides, it can be "Have you got a pen?" or "Got you a pen?"

  3. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #4

    Re: have or do have

    I agree with minnieuk but ' Have you a pen" is a rather old-fashioned style. Most people now prefer the first choice.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,512
    #5

    Re: have or do have

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulys View Post

    The Both sentences are correct.

    Besides, it can be "Have you got a pen?" or "Got you a pen?" No, it can't.
    Paulys, please state that you are not a teacher when attempting to answer questions.

    Rover

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: have or do have

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulys View Post
    The both sentence is correct.
    Besides, it can be "Have you got a pen?" or "Got you a pen?"
    Paulys, your efforts to help are appreciated. However, as you have said in other threads that you have a lot of problems with English, it would be better for all if you did not attempt to answer questions yet - see Rover's amendments to your last post.

  5. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Afrikaans
      • Home Country:
      • Austria
      • Current Location:
      • Anguilla

    • Join Date: Jul 2011
    • Posts: 4
    #7

    Re: have or do have

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Paulys, your efforts to help are appreciated. However, as you have said in other threads that you have a lot of problems with English, it would be better for all if you did not attempt to answer questions yet - see Rover's amendments to your last post.
    I appreciate the social tact with which you handle him. IT is Paulys's motives that count most and not the quality that his inputs represent. There is a lot of merit in "horses for courses", however.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •