Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Sirs! How would I use 'will and 'shall' in a sentence that could show willingness (volition)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sirs! How would I use 'will and 'shall' in a sentence that could show willingness (volition)?
Use 'will'. Always.

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Sir, could you give one such example that could show the proper use of 'will' in the sense of willingness?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Use 'will'. Always.

In academic writing, we still use "shall" with the first person, both in the singular and plural. It is less common to use will in such cases, in literature and the humanities.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In academic writing, we still use "shall" with the first person, both in the singular and plural. It is less common to use will in such cases, in literature and the humanities.
For volition?

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan

Sir I have learnt from a decrepit English Grammar book that 'will' is used with first person while 'shall' is used with second and third person, in case of volition that is, but I couldn't figure out their usage in the sense of willingness. A sentence would help me understand it.

Last edited:

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Not a teacher

Sir I have learnt from a decrepit English Grammar book that 'will' is used with first person while 'shall' is used with second and third person, but I couldn't figure out their usage in the sense of willingness. A sentence would help me understand it.

I can't think how you would express volition in the 2nd or 3rd persons. In these cases, the use of shall would mean determination (on the part of the speaker) or promise.

I will sneak out to the cinema in spite of being grounded. (volition)

You shall have the bike for Christmas. (promise)

The prisoners shall be executed tomorrow. (determination, but it's the speaker's determination, not the poor chaps'.) :-(

NB: This is what we were taught in the 60's in ESL class. Nowadays, will has become standard use for simple futurity even for the first person. And many native speakers are unsure about the use of shall with the second and third persons.

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Not a teacher

I will sneak out to the cinema in spite of being grounded. (volition)

My word! I didn't know what kind of sentence would it be. I have been using these kind of sentences from the age of 10.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
My word! I didn't know what kind of sentence would it be. I have been using these kind of sentences from the age of 10.

You, naughty boy! :shock:

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I think it's just a carry-on of the old Oxbridge rules:...
That's what I was taught but I'm not sure many writers know these "rules"... but I stand by your response.

Not a teacher -- AmE native

Status
Not open for further replies.