Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi teachers !

I have pretty serious agony of my English. I have lived in Canada for more than 4 years.

I am going to university this year. But I still have problems with my English. Especially

when I read books, I put emphasis on the wrong words. I tend to emphasize on the word after

verb. My English teacher has told me many times that I should've emphasized on the verb.

First time, he thought that it was all matter of comprehension. But my understanding is fine,

and my ordinary spoken English doesn't have that kind of problem.

Does anyone know why I keep putting emphasis on the wrong words while reading? and

How to fix it?

Please help me out :cry:

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi teachers !

I have pretty serious agony of my English. I have lived in Canada for more than 4 years.

I am going to university this year. But I still have problems with my English. Especially

when I read books, I put emphasis on the wrong words. I tend to emphasize on the word after

verb. My English teacher has told me many times that I should've emphasized on the verb.

First time, he thought that it was all matter of comprehension. But my understanding is fine,

and my ordinary spoken English doesn't have that kind of problem.

Does anyone know why I keep putting emphasis on the wrong words while reading? Could it be because of the fact that your mother tongue is a tone language and you still need time to get used to English intonation?

How to fix it?
I'm sure you'll gett better in time, by means of practice and practice and practice... ;-)
Please help me out :cry:

Hedwig, not a teacher

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could it be because of the fact that your mother tongue is a tone language and you still need time to get used to English intonation?
Hedwig, not a teacher
Ook Choi says his/her mother tongue (native language, as per the profile) is German, which is not a tone language.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I could've sworn I read Chinese. :oops:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When reading written texts aloud, people often do things like this because it's not very natural, and you say you don't do this when speaking normally, which would be more of a problem. How often do you have to read texts aloud?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think agony, by definition, is serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.