No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Interesting- the sound does seem to change, not to /v/ but something in the middle.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Interesting- the sound does seem to change, not to /v/ but something in the middle.
I found it quite eerie when we saw the two faces side by side. As I moved my eyes from one to the other, the sound clearly changed - only it didn't.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Even when you know and don't want it to change.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
]It does rather make me question my judgement on some of the things I have said in the past.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
It loosely reminds me of dubbed films.

Also, films sometimes have actors from different nationalities working together and some of them are dubbed, when they're supposed to sound like natives. You watch the mouth carefully and you see that its movements aren't synched with the speech being uttered. I always wonder how they do it. I mean, the actors performing together, when they don't understand what the other one is saying. Of course, they know, becuase they've got the script, but still it is a little uncanny.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It loosely reminds me of dubbed films.

Also, films sometimes have actors from different nationalities working together and some of them are dubbed, when they're supposed to sound like natives. You watch the mouth carefully and you see that its movements aren't synched with the speech being uttered. I always wonder how they do it. I mean, the actors performing together, when they don't understand what the other one is saying. Of course, they know, becuase they've got the script, but still it is a little uncanny.
I agree, but at least we know what is going on there. With most optical illusions, too, I can see what is going on - eventually. The McGurk effect, however, was inexplicable. I knew that only one sound was being produced and yet, no matter how hard I concentrated, I heard two different sounds as my eys moved from one mouth to the other.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I agree. I had to close my eyes to make sure.
My previous post was a bit off topic, actually, by association.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
With most optical illusions, too, I can see what is going on - eventually. The McGurk effect, however, was inexplicable.
Try these:
‪Ramachandran - Ames room illusion explained‬‏ - YouTube
ChessBase Events

No matter how long I look what I try cover with hands, I'm unable to see how those two squares are the same color. I had to use MS Paint to see they really are. I can, kind of, see that the room is trapezoid, but it's still amazing. :)

(Sorry about being off topic, but I couldn't resist.)

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As we are not side-tracking anybody who has asked a pressing question about phonetics, I don't think there is any harm in going off-topic, when it's interesting (as the posts so far have been). If the moderators think we are putting anybody off this sub-forum, they can always move the thread to a general discussion forum.

Last edited:

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Awsome illusions! I wouldn't believe it until I did the thing with the bit of paper and the two holes. The other image at the bottom's incredible, too. Used a ruler against the monitor to check.
It goes to show the human brain is a work of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.