[Grammar] Should or Shall I open the window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, everyone.

I think it should be Should I open the window. But my grammar book says that I am wrong.

Many thanks

Richard

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello, everyone.

I think it should be Should I open the window? But my grammar book says that I am wrong.

Many thanks

Richard
Your grammar book has no business telling you that you are wrong in saying "Should I open the window?" However, the answer would depend on what "it" is, in "I think it should be...." You think what should be? They are two different sentences.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, Raymott.

I thought about my question again and realized what I wanted to say was that Shall I open the window, as a sentence, doesn't seem to make sense. This sentence is a question that can't be answered. How can another person know whether I will open the window or not?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, Raymott.

I thought about my question again and realized what I wanted to say was that Shall I open the window, as a sentence, doesn't seem to make sense. This sentence is a question that can't be answered. How can another person know whether I will open the window or not?
I'm not an expert on 'shall/will'. I rarely use 'shall'. But there is nothing wrong with this sentence, at least in AusE. For practical purposes, it means the same as "Should I ..." You are asking the other person about the advisability of opening the window.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Shall I is an expression used in English to volunteer to do something. It's more or less like asking would you like me to open the window?

In my humble opinion "should I" sounds a bit more tentative, as though asking for permission, almost.

H.
not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hedwig's explanation is how I would use them in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.