Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

Is there any difference between the following two expressions?

I have a problem with somebody/something.

I have an issue with somebody/something.

Of course, I want to make sure that these two are correct.

Thank you very much.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're fine.

ehsaning

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Hong Kong
As the Administrator said they're both correct.

mklemm

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
To my knowledge, referring to an "issue" rather than a "problem" has emerged from the thinking that, in modern everyday life, especially on a professional background, you should generally avoid to call something a "problem", because it may indicate that you are really at a point where you are unable (or even unwilling?) to proceed with your intended actions. So, calling something an "issue" instead of a "problem" is maybe a form of euphemism. "Issue" doesn't sound as "problematic" as "problem" to most people, as far as I know.
My personal opinion is that you should name things as they are, and I'm not promoting euphemism, so personally I'd agree to say that both versions are the same. But I suppose that saying "I have an issue with somebody" is a more polite or more careful statement than to say "I have a problem with somebody". A "problem" is, well, a problem, but an "issue" can be something less obstructive or something less visible and more subtle.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To my knowledge, referring to an "issue" rather than a "problem" has emerged from the thinking that, in modern everyday life, especially on a professional background, you should generally avoid [STRIKE]to call[/STRIKE] calling something a "problem", because it may indicate that you are really at a point where you are unable (or even unwilling?) to proceed with your intended actions. So, calling something an "issue" instead of a "problem" is maybe a form of euphemism. "Issue" doesn't sound as "problematic" as "problem" to most people, as far as I know.

My personal opinion is that you should name things as they are, and I'm not promoting euphemism, so personally I'd agree to say that both versions are the same. But I suppose that saying "I have an issue with somebody" is a more polite or more careful statement than to say "I have a problem with somebody". A "problem" is, well, a problem, but an "issue" can be something less obstructive or something less visible and more subtle.
I agree with you :up:. Welcome to the forum, mklemm.

Note my small correction in your first paragraph.

In your second paragraph, I think you intend to say that you have the same opinion as others. If so, it is better to say:

I('d) agree (with Tdol) that both versions ..., or possibly: I('d) agree (with Tdol) in saying that both versions ...

If you agree to do something, you say that you will do it.

mklemm

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I agree with you :up:. Welcome to the forum, mklemm.

Note my small correction in your first paragraph.

In your second paragraph, I think you intend to say that you have the same opinion as others. If so, it is better to say:

I('d) agree (with Tdol) that both versions ..., or possibly: I('d) agree (with Tdol) in saying that both versions ...

If you agree to do something, you say that you will do it.

Thank you for your comments!

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(I'm not an English teacher, and my business experience is virtually all software development.)

I agree with everyone who said that the idioms are fine.

But, if you're talking about something like a technical meeting, I wouldn't say "I have a problem with John." That's very, very strong. I'd be much more likely to say something like "I have an issue with the way John changed the procedure." (I think the idiom is fine; it's just that I think it's much stronger than people have said.)

Plain "I have a problem with John" is very agressive. It's the sort of thing you'd say when things have gotten really bad. Even "I have an issue with John" is very emphatic. I think people are much more likely talk about something John did, rather than talk about John himself. "I have an issue with the way John changed the process", rather than "I have an issue with John. I don't think the way he changed the process is the right thing to do."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
(But, if you're talking about something like a technical meeting, I wouldn't say "I have a problem with John." That's very, very strong. I'd be much more likely to say something like "I have an issue with the way John changed the procedure." (I think the idiom is fine; it's just that I think it's much stronger than people have said.)

Plain "I have a problem with John" is very agressive. It's the sort of thing you'd say when things have gotten really bad. Even "I have an issue with John" is very emphatic. I think people are much more likely talk about something John did, rather than talk about John himself. "I have an issue with the way John changed the process", rather than "I have an issue with John. I don't think the way he changed the process is the right thing to do."
I think you are talking sociology/psychology rather than language. You may well be right about what people should say ideally. The reality is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.