Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
at any rate
— used to indicate that something is true or certain regardless of what else has happened or been said
▪ This restaurant has the best food—or at any rate, the best pasta dishes—in the city. ▪ At any rate [=in any case], cooking with fresh ingredients makes everything taste better. ▪ It is possible that she was nervous. At any rate, her singing was still good.

Are "at any rate" and "in any rate" interchangeable only in the second example?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
at any rate
— used to indicate that something is true or certain regardless of what else has happened or been said
▪ This restaurant has the best food—or at any rate, the best pasta dishes—in the city. ▪ At any rate [=in any case], cooking with fresh ingredients makes everything taste better. ▪ It is possible that she was nervous. At any rate, her singing was still good.

Are "at any rate" and "in any rate" interchangeable only in the second example?

I think either expression is acceptable/understood your three examples.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
But can you say in any rate? I mean, in any case, in any event, I'm familiar with, but the question specifies in any rate, if I understand correctly. I would have thought this phrase could only be used with at. :?:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But can you say in any rate? I mean, in any case, in any event, I'm familiar with, but the question specifies in any rate, if I understand correctly. I would have thought this phrase could only be used with at. :?:
My view, too.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Sorry, I misread, misunderstood or simply didn't read the complete post. I didn't mean to imply that "in any rate" was a correct phrase, which it is not in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.