Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear all,

How should I understand the underlined?

Thanks in advance.

Eartha

Markets are pessimistic about the Chinese banking sector, with concerns about asset quality and moves to damp down inflation clouding the outlook. But in the state-dominated system, some banks are more equal than others.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Dear all,

How should I understand the underlined?

Thanks in advance.

Eartha

Markets are pessimistic about the Chinese banking sector, with concerns about asset quality and moves to damp down inflation clouding the outlook. But in the state-dominated system, some banks are more equal than others.

The phrase is a witticism, arising from the idea that all (people, members, you-name-it) are equal. The speaker means that there is no equality, actually, and some banks are favoured, given preference, get more benefits than others.

We use this phrase in Spanish too.

H.
Not a teacher

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even though George Orwell made this quote famous in Animal Farm, my favorite use of it involves my very favorite band, Queen. They were on tour and had checked into a luxury hotel. Each member of the band was assigned a suite, but somehow Freddie Mercury had made sure that he had been assigned to the Presidential Suite, the largest and most deluxe suite in the hotel. When drummer Roger Taylor first stepped into Freddie's room his eyes widened at the opulence. Freddie caught his glance and quickly said "All suites are created equal, my dear!" Roger retorted "Well, this suite is a damn sight more equal than mine!!" :-D

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Nice to find out who originated the phrase. I'd always ascribed it to popular wit.

Great site, by the way! Much more handy than skimming through the whole paper edition for a quote, which can prove so frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.